When did the definition of upgrade change?

A

AC Question

I understand the necessity of continuously upgrading software to keep up with the changing environments, but why change things that have zero impact on enhanced performance? Xperia XA, just updated to Nougat yesterday. Message notifications, such as with WhatsApp, now don't offer the ability to send any of the smileys or gifs thru a quick reply - you have to open WhatsApp in order to send anything other than text. It worked fine in MM, so why change it? What possible enhancement does this provide? Also, I used to be able to click once to enable or disable mobile data on the quick settings menu. Now, I click on mobile data, which opens a menu where I have to toggle it on or off. I'm not complaining about having to click twice - I'm not that lazy. The point is, again, why change something that worked fine and that was convenient? Did somebody feel the need to justify their existence at Android? Before, when I was charging the phone, the battery icon was static with a plus sign in it. Now, the battery level increases dynamically to indicate that it's charging. Wow, that adds so much to the functionality of the phone. Thanks! Previously, a partial drop down of the menu would show you the date and time. Now, you have to drop down the menu completely to see the date, despite the fact that there is plenty of dead space beside the time where the date could have been placed.

So far, the only feature, enhancement, change, upgrade, whatever you want to call it out of the 950MB upgrade that I find actually useful is the split screen capability. Am I missing something?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.
Am I missing something?

Security mostly, and other under the hood stuff. As with the PC world, time marches on and that means OS changes that somebody doesn't want/need/like. Nougat has been a wakeup for lots of folks, but security is better.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol