Hello:

I recently bought a SD card called "Micro SanDisk Extreme 32GB" with the new "A1 technology" recommended to running apps; but here is when the impossible mission starts…

Case A) If I set the SD card as "Internal Storage", every time I reboot the phone some apps automatically log-out (like Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest).

Case B) If I set the SD card as "External drive" (as SanDisk suggests to avoid issues like "Case A") I'm can't move anything because there is no "Change" button (Settings > Apps > App > Storage) and the helper-apps like "AppMgr III" become useless.

So, what I can do? Thanks in advance! h

*Phone: Wiko U FEEL
    *Android: Marshmallow 6.0
    08-25-2017 10:28 PM
    Welcome to Android Central. Developers have to specifically allow an app to be partially moved via code, and it appears few are doing that now. I use the SD for music, photos and documents. The camera may allow that to be set as the default storage (external only) and some apps will also allow their data storage to be placed there. If you can't delete some apps and free up internal storage you might need to get a different device.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    08-25-2017 10:32 PM
    Hello @PJRed2008: Thanks so much for your kind welcoming and your quick reply! Unfortunately, I don't have in mind getting a new device (It's just one year old) but I'd like to find a solution about moving apps to my new SDcard.

Apparently like I just have a option: set the SD card as "Internal Storage" without moving "problematic" social apps (like Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest); which it'd be a "sloppy" option because social apps are the heaviest.

But, seems like you're suggesting that developers are currently updating apps to make them able to moved?

On the other hand, why my Marshmallow versions hasn't the option to move app via "Settings"? Should I install a ROM?

Thanks in advance! h
    08-27-2017 08:54 PM
    A ROM won't make any difference, the apps have to be coded to be allowed to work on an SD. The OS doesn't make any difference other than allowing those apps coded correctly to have access to the SD. Actually, I'm suggesting just the opposite, it appears more devs are not allowing apps to be moved, but that's a purely subjective observation.
    Formatting an SD as internal storage (if allowed) is risky because cards fail fairly often, and without any warning. That would really screw up your phone's storage.
    08-27-2017 09:54 PM
    Hello PJRed2008: Thanks again for your quick answer! I rooted my old phone (a very old Samsung model) to being able to move app but I'm a little bit scared to root my new one (because It's just one year old).

So, I'm gonna set the SD card as "External drive" (as you and SanDisk itself suggests) but from now on I should find a way to move app…
    08-28-2017 11:52 AM
    If the app isn't written to allow it to be moved, you can't, root or no root. Rooting has no effect on how the app was written.

Since many apps (more and more, as people "develop" apps with "app-developing apps) just won't run from the SD card, many developers are just writing the app so that it can't be moved. It should still work if you set the card as internal storage, but there are some functions that just won't run from the card. (And developers at places like Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest probably know enough to just look for the card, and if the app is running on the card (internal or external won't make a difference), it just logs you out - because the app wouldn't work anyway.

So you have a choice - put files (pictures, videos, music, documents, etc.) on the card to free up space in internal storage, so that you'll have enough space for all your apps or, if that still doesn't give you enough space, buy a phone with more storage. There's really no other way around it. You can't force an app that won't run from the SD card to run from the SD card.

(BTW, congratulations for buying the best card on the market. SanDisk started the technology, guarantees their cards, and even has online tech support on their site if you have a bad card. And, considering that I have cards of theirs that have capacities in MB, not GB, that still work after all these years, I'd say that they know what they're doing.)
    08-28-2017 01:13 PM
    Hello Rukbat: Thanks for your reply! The whole developers issue could be the reason of some of Marshmallow versions doesn't include the option to move app from "Settings"? If yes, I assum that sadly the future updates won't include the option…

About the SanDisk, I have to say that they answered me all the question I sent to them and also offer me a new card in cause of failure but, honestly, I'm regretting the decision:

Before buying it, I read several news about the "A1" technology able to run apps, that's why I decide to buy it but (I don't wanna to be mean, shady or offend anyone) why they launch a new card, able to work with apps, if seems like we won't move apps?

Thanks! h
    08-29-2017 09:44 PM