Hello!
    I will receive my Samsung galaxy s7 edge in a few days, and I know it runs on Marshmallow. I've heard it's good to factory reset your phone, after installing a software update, so I was wondering;
    When i get my phone and after I have set up the phone, I will immediately update my phone to Nougat. Should I still factory reset my phone? Even after I haven't used it a bit?
    And I don't care about backing up my data, cause' I haven't got anything on it yet

Sorry about the maybe dumb question I aren't so good at all the tech stuff
    08-27-2017 07:15 AM
    It's a perfectly good question.
    Some people recommend factory resetting after a software upgrade, others not. In general, I don't do so, because I have almost never encountered problems after the many upgrades that I've downloaded on Android, iOS and Windows. The one occasion on which I did reset because I thought that there was a problem, made no difference, and may have been an error of judgment on my part....I thought that battery life had been impaired.

Others will no doubt offer their own views on this.

I think you'd enjoy being a member and engaging with others here. It's easy:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
    Kaja0226 likes this.
    08-27-2017 07:30 AM
    Thank you!
    belodion likes this.
    08-27-2017 08:41 AM
    I'm one of the "others" belodion mentioned, and I share his view. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Flashing a new ROM usually works better if you clear the system cache after flashing it, but an updated OS is using the same cached data they the old one cached, so unless there are problems, it's best to not clear anything.

Doing a factory data reset should never be needed for an update. At worst, the update won't complete, but will have gone so fr that it won't repeat. In that case, you bring the phone to your carrier and ask them to redo thee update. (Factory resetting in that situation could brick the phone.)
    belodion likes this.
    08-27-2017 12:40 PM