I have recently acquired a new phone. (my old gs3 got battery bloat and died). only to discover that my bargain SM-G900T was in fact a T-Mobile branded device not usable in the UK. I've now acquired a new working phone, but It is not possible to return the SM-G900T. I am loathe to waste the device so I want to root it, install the latest android it will handle along with Java SDK , and play with it, but there is a problem, I don't know much about it. I don't need the phone functions, but will need the wifi facility. There is a snag, I DON'T HAVE WINDOWS! I use Ubuntu linux. If anyone thinks this will work and can as it were hold my hand and walk me through the procedure it would be great.
    08-27-2017 08:35 AM
    Just turn the phone on, turn wifi on, connect to your router (give it the password if the router needs one) and it should work. You'll probably get a "missing SIM card" notification every time you turn it on, but you can just ignore it. (I have one of my phones set up like that, because I have only one account at the moment, and you can't put two phones on the same mobile account.)
    08-27-2017 12:48 PM