The camera on my Galaxy S6 active is broken. I've tried most of the routine fixes found on the internet, but still no luck. I hope someone can advise me on a solution.

The problem began with a "Camera Failed" message when the front (selfie) camera was in use. Of course, the message prevented me from switching to the back camera, so I couldn't use either camera.

I cleared the cache several times, and I did a factory reset several times, and neither solution worked. This made me think that it isn't a software problem, so I bought a replacement front camera and installed it.

I hooked everything up but did not permanently put the screen back on, just in case something didn't work. Immediately after powering up the device with the new camera installed, I was able to take selfie pictures. So, the replacement camera was definitely functional. However, I received a message that said something similar like "Battery too hot. Shutting down camera." Ever since then, I get the same "Camera failed" error as I had originally and I can't get away from it. Again cache clearing, etc. does nothing.

I'm not sure if this indicates some deeper problem with the phone, and whether it is repairable at all. Did I somehow fry a circuit by when powering up the phone? If I can't fix it, is there a way to in software simply disable the front camera altogether so that it doesn't try to use it? I suspect that the other camera is fine and would work, but if I ever switch to selfie mode I will be trapped.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    08-28-2017 11:18 PM
    Just an update:

I found the secret code for the hardware diagnostics menu. When I click the "front camera" button in that menu, the camera works and I can take a picture. However, I still get the "camera failed" message in normal operation.
    08-28-2017 11:34 PM