How Can I Tell If My Samgsung Galaxy S& Sm-G930F Is Factory or Software Unlocked?

A

AC Question

Hi guys,

I went to do a software update on my phone today and it said the software has been modified.
I purchased this phone second hand and it has worked with all networks but I would like to return it to factory software.
Is there any way I can check if the rooted status is controlling the unlock or is it is factory unlocked.
I know returning it to factory software would answer this but I would be afraid of being stuck with a locked phone I cannot use then.

Thanks

Tommy

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Rooted status isn't controlled by unlocked - factory or later. But if the phone is rooted it won't (it better not) update. updating will always fail, as soon as the "custom ROM" status is found.

Locking is not allowing the phone to use any SIM except the one by the carrier it was made for. Reflashing the ROM doesn't change that, whether it came from the factory unlocked or someone unlocked it later. (There's no software involved - if you put a foreign SIM into a locked phone, it asks for the unlock code. If you put it in correctly, the phone is permanently unlocked.)

But you can't update a rooted phone. If you flash the same version it has, but stock, it will update. But then you'll have to find a method of rooting that version of Android. The rooting is different for each phone, and for each version of Android on that phone.

Check the appropriate forum (your phone model - and carrier if it comes in the same model for different carriers) on XDA Forums for a rooting method for the new version of Android. (Some people have already-rooted newer versions of Android that you can flash.)

As always, when flashing any ROM, back everything up first (see Backing up an Android Device). Flashing a ROM removes everything you've done to the phone. (Unless someone has a "non-destruction" ROM you can flash.) If possible, install TWRP first, back up the data, then flash, then restore the data. If you can install TWRP without destroying the data (or if you already have TWRP [or CWM] installed, that's the easiest way).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12