Music Syncing: PC with Android?

A

AC Question

I just picked up a new budget / entry level Android tablet, the Acer Iconia One 10 with Android v7. It's not my first Android, but it has been about five years since my last which ran 2.3.

What is the current state of affairs with music syncing? Not merely copying music to the device, but actual SYNC? I have way more music than is practical to take with me all at once or to manage manually. My current setup is iOS based: iTunes with smart playlists that sync back and forth with my iPhone as I listen to music. The music is stored on my desktop computer, not the cloud. And... this is why I switched (back) to iOS five or so years ago.

With the prices of the iPhone 8 expecting to start at over a thousand dollars, I'm wondering if I can replicate the setup to Android - if I can, I may switch back to Android for my next phone upgrade. My desktop is Windows 10.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I haven't tried it, but doubleTwist has been the only solution I've heard of. As far as I can tell, you can't sync via USB (there's only a sync program for Mac on their site). But if you pay for the premium version, it sounds like you can use their AirSync app to do a true sync with iTunes on your PC wirelessly.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I only know how to sync music that isn't DRMed to iTunes, since I don't use iTunes.

MusicBee, Winamp, MediaMonkey and Windows Media Player, and several more, are able to sync music to Android devices with a button press. You can also set to sync on connection with some of them.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
@chanchan05, how well does WMP sync? In my experience (a long time ago), it was pretty wonky.
Tried it once for a single album, worked ok. But that was like 3 years ago, but eventually went with MusicBee. Then 1 got spotify premium part of my contract with my carrier for an equivalent of 2USD a month, so been using that for the past 2 years.

Spotify premium lets me upload my own music playlists that aren't on their database for personal use and download it again to my device, kinda like Google Music.