How to tell Android to update the database for new MCC/MNC and it's corresponding APN

pooncl1213

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I am a new MVNO with new MCC/MNC and APN. I want to tell Android to update it's database such that our users using Android phone can automatically load the APN setting when turn on. What can I do to tell Android on my new setting?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a new MVNO with new MCC/MNC and APN. I want to tell Android to update it's database such that our users using Android phone can automatically load the APN setting when turn on. What can I do to tell Android on my new setting?
Hello there.

You may want to look into an application called Tasker. You could create a program with it that will automatically change the APN based on a trigger event, such as the time of day as an example. Let me know if you have any more questions.

pooncl1213

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi Wizzrah, thanks for your response but I am not looking for apps at all. I want my new MCC/MNC and the corresponding APN to be updated in the last Android OS. Such that once any UE has download and update the latest Android OS, then the new APN information can be automatically update into the Android handset/UE.

I would like to find a way to inform Android to put the new APN information to the latest Android OS.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Wizzrah, thanks for your response but I am not looking for apps at all. I want my new MCC/MNC and the corresponding APN to be updated in the last Android OS. Such that once any UE has download and update the latest Android OS, then the new APN information can be automatically update into the Android handset/UE.

I would like to find a way to inform Android to put the new APN information to the latest Android OS.

Let me double check if I understand what you're looking for. If you were to update to a newer version of Android, you want those settings to carry over, correct?

pooncl1213

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Not carry over. When the new Android OS is available, I wish that Android already know which APN setting should be set according to the SIM's MCC/MNC.

Therefore, I wonder how Android OS can automatically load the APN setting. E.g. When I put a 3UK SIM, I think that Android can recognize the SIM MCC/MNC and insert the correct APN there (such as three.co.uk as the APN name). No need to manually set the APN name.

So I am looking for a way to inform the Android (or to be correct - Google developer) to update new MCC/MNC and it's corresponding APN setting for a new Android OS update.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, you represent a carrier (or run a carrier). If that's the case, post the question on Google's Android help forum. We help people with phones (we're just users, we're not Google), but very few of us know anything about how a phone picks up the MCC/MNC and APN from the SIM. (Maybe they're burned onto the SIM? I don't know - but if they are, you'll have to flash them to the SIMs you give your users.)