Hello, so yesterday I bought a 32GB SanDisk MicroSD card. It came with a adapter to a regular SD card so I used it to backup files from my old 8GB microSD card then swap them and put the old SD files to the new card. Then I went to internal memory and started to transfer the DCIM to the SD card, but it said overwrite or something (Main language isn't Engish so I don't know how to translate) and I cancelled it. Then I see that I have 4.5GB free space when before I had like 200MB free. Then I check and I don't see my 800 photos and videos neither in my SD nor the internal memory. The more I use the device the more it uses space, which I think is over-writing the photos now right? How do I get my photos and videos back (at least some of them)?
    My phone is Samsung Galaxy S5+ and the Android version is 6.0.1. My phone is not rooted.
    Thanks.
    09-01-2017 11:16 AM
    Contact SanDisk at SanDisk microSD Tech Support. There's voice chat on the right, at the top.

Before you do that, you might want to install SD Insight, to see if the card looks counterfeit. (If SD Insight says that the card is smaller than 32GB, or that the manufacture date is 1-1-1970, it's counterfeit.)

Other than that, SanDisk will be able to help you. (And they'll replace the card if it's defective.)

You can also run PhotoRec on the card (when it's plugged into the PC) to recover anything on it that can be recovered. See PhotoRec Step By Step. (It can take a day or more if you have a lot of files on the card - but it will recover everything possible.)
    09-01-2017 11:59 AM
    Yeah, but the problem is that the files aren't on the SD card. They should be somewhere in my internal memory. I tried a lot of progams so I'm not sure, but I think that program needs the phone to be rooted? Is that the program that scans all of the sectors very slowly? Also I saw some post that said to recover anything I need my phone to be rooted? Thanks

EDIT: The SD card is 32 GB and manufactured in Mar 2017. And photorec is not the program I talked about. I remember using this program but it did not recognize my phone.
    09-01-2017 12:14 PM
    And photorec is not the program I talked about.
    Welcome to Android Central as a new user! Photorec would be used on the SD card, not the phone. You are correct in that recovery apps for androids require the device to be rooted. However, if you have been using the phone then you have most likely been overwriting the photos and recovery would be spotty.
    09-01-2017 12:30 PM
    I tried to limit it. I mostly answered calls, called a few times, opened messenger few times, but when i connected to wifi it started to update apps so that might be a problem. I still don't think that it could've overwritten 4.5 GB right? How high is the chance that I may f up while rooting, trying to recover my photos? My warranty has already ended. Also what program should I use to root/try to recover my files? The thing is I'm not sure what the photos were - and I don't know if someday I'll need some kind picture of a number or something. I believe most of the pictures were family pictures though, and I'd like to get at least some of them back.
    09-01-2017 12:44 PM