So I wanted to install root, but I don't want to loose my data, can I use KingRoot to do that?
    09-04-2017 05:28 AM
    Rooting has nothing to do with your data. Basically (although KingRoot does more), rooting just installs one file and one app (to control access to that file, otherwise viruses could gain root without your knowing).

KingRoot may be able to root the Honor 7 Lite on the Android version yours is on (the rooting method depends on both the phone and the version of Android) or it may not. (It won't cause any problems if it can't - first it searches the phone to see if it has a rooting method for it and if it doesn't, it just tells you that it can't. Kingo may also be able to, iRoot may also. (As of now, CF Autoroot can't.)

But if you have to unlock the bootloader to root the phone, be careful - unlocking the bootloader wipes your phone, so back up everything first, including your installed apps. (See Backing up an Android Device.)

See the first post in https://forum.xda-developers.com/hon...-root-t3483679 and this thread also. (And maybe a few others in the 5C and P9 subforums.)
    09-04-2017 01:50 PM
    I recommend rooting your phone with Magisk
    09-04-2017 03:46 PM
    The only problem with Magisk (and rooting in general, comes from android.gadgethacks - "Going forward, you'll have to avoid root apps that modify your system partition in any way." So if you want to modify any system file - say, to allow pre-Lollipop access to the SD card, you have to wait for someone to figure out a way to modify a system file "without modifying a system file".

It's like evolution. Developers develop hacks to get around defenses, Google builds better defenses to get around the hacks. Oreo might just have an API to detect Magisk, and you're back to where we were before, until someone comes up with something new. (Or until Google realizes that some of us just don't want to run Linux without superuser access. Just modify the warranties to not cover damage caused by access to system files.)
    09-05-2017 02:09 PM