I have a Nexus 4 with 5.1.1 OS version of Android. I started to add a few items and soon realized that I was in a fight for my life. I installed some so-called Optimization Apps and then I was deluged with other apps that were recommended to Clean Up this and that. After awhile I decided to send a Text and I could not get to the app because all these Warnings about Ram and Space. I just want to use the phone for Texting, Calls, Music and Email (through WiFi. The other thing is I go to Play Store to remove things I think I do not need and it only allows me to Disable.
    How can I know what is REQUIRED and what is CRAP. Any help would be appreciated.
    09-04-2017 03:05 PM
    Almost any apps that claim to optimize RAM or storage (or "memory") are doing the opposite of what Android wants (Windows wants as much free RAM as possible, Android wants as little free RAM as possible), so stop running "optimizing" apps. Android does its own, pretty good, job of optimization.

And look for apps from Cheetah Mobile. Uninstall them (their apps prove that they don't know how Android works). As for apps that "clear out unused apps", how do they know? Maybe you have an app you use only on the first of the month - run an app like that and on the first of next month, it's been "cleaned out" and you have to install it again.

(All the warnings about RAM and space are usually ads.)

You don't remove apps from Play, you only install them. Go to Settings/General/Application manager to uninstall them.
    How can I know what is REQUIRED and what is CRAP.
    Welcome to Android Central. That's the 64K Dollar Question. For where you are now I would recommend you do a factory reset to clear out everything, unless you have some very important not backed up data. Once you're back to square one, forget the utility apps and just install what you need, which, from your list, shouldn't be anything as all those are included with the phone.

it doesn't sound like you're going to the Play Store on that last one, as you can remove anything you downloaded. However, you can't remove, and in many cases not disable apps included on the device.
    09-04-2017 03:11 PM
    Almost any apps that claim to optimize RAM or storage (or "memory") are doing the opposite of what Android wants (Windows wants as much free RAM as possible, Android wants as little free RAM as possible), so stop running "optimizing" apps. Android does its own, pretty good, job of optimization.

And look for apps from Cheetah Mobile. Uninstall them (their apps prove that they don't know how Android works). As for apps that "clear out unused apps", how do they know? Maybe you have an app you use only on the first of the month - run an app like that and on the first of next month, it's been "cleaned out" and you have to install it again.

(All the warnings about RAM and space are usually ads.)

You don't remove apps from Play, you only install them. Go to Settings/General/Application manager to uninstall them.
    hallux and ManiacJoe like this.
    09-04-2017 03:56 PM