I have a Yotaphone 2 with android 6.0.1, the last official update for that model, with the default rom. Since I upgraded my phone from Lollipop to Marshmallow, I've noticed that often, applications get minimized automatically. Sometimes the "Recent apps" menu shows up, and sometimes the current app just disappears and the phone shows the phone screen.

This behaviour is almost always triggered by another action. Most commonly, when I try to video call using skype or whatsapp, the video call minimizes (but the app doesn't close, as I can continue with the call, but I can't see the other person, and sometimes they can't see me) when I receive some kind of notification. Some other times, but less frequently, the web browser (google chrome) minimizes when I receive a notification (email, whatsapp, etc.). The same happens with any GPS navigator, they just close or minimize as soon as I receive some email or message in the notifications.

It is annoying, since I can't use my phone to make video calls or anything that requires an app to stay open for some time.

Since these are occasions where more RAM is used, it is likely that it is caused by how the phone manages the RAM. I have checked, and I usually have between 350-500MB of free ram (out of 1.8GB).

Is this a known issue? Is there any setting I can change to improve this situation?
    09-05-2017 06:48 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You don't have any 3rd party "RAM booster" apps installed, do you?
    09-05-2017 11:19 AM
    Not that I know of, no. The firmware comes with a power saving feature that activates automatically when the battery level reaches 15%, but that behavior happens regardless of the battery level.
    09-05-2017 11:58 AM
    Does it happen in Safe Mode as well? On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.
    09-05-2017 12:13 PM
    I didn't know about Safe Mode. I tried it, but only the preinstalled apps can be used, so I could not test any skype or whatsapp call, or use the GPS. I only tried browsing with google chrome while spamming myself hangout messages from another computer, and the browser did not close, although it's not an app that is consistently affected by this problem.
    09-05-2017 12:43 PM
    If you use the preinstalled apps in Safe Mode and they never close automatically, then it's probably some 3rd party app you installed that's causing the instability. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.
    09-05-2017 12:56 PM
    The thing is, I can't really tell. Google chrome is usually not affected, it only happens once in a while, whereas a skype videocall closes (or minimizes, as the call still goes on) every time I call.
    09-05-2017 01:03 PM
    Another general troubleshooting step to try is wiping the cache partition: YOTA YotaPhone 2 - Recovery Mode - HardReset.info
    09-05-2017 10:44 PM