The standard file manager normally includes ten tile options "Rrcents" -> "Videos" & "Safe Box"

The last tile option safebox has disappeared. I had set that up with a password and put files in there that I had successfully accessed until a few days ago. Now with no tile I have no oportunity to enter a password and no method of accessing these files.

My files were backed up but how do I get this feature back and preferably my files also.

The lower edge of the app under the now only 9 tiles has an option to explore some of the phone's content {not rooted) and I can discover apparently related files and directories.

I am guessing maybe clearing the data and cache for the app may recover its functions. But presumably lose the files.
    Perhaps an important lesson and good that it was not for instance my one and only password stash.

Any comments or help & advice appreciated. Is this safe box unreliable? And can I recover the function and files?

P.S. (2nd & 3rd edit)

The phone is a Vodafone model VOD 700, ! Oops !! No it is vFd 700 which I imagine is in fact a branded clone of something else.

The app does identify itself as "File Manager v5.2.8 ..." And was installed by default and not added by me.
    Attached Thumbnails File manager's safe box icon disappeared, can see file directories but not open them.-9tiles.jpg  
    09-12-2017 02:25 AM
    There are a lot of file manager apps named File Manager. It would help us to help you if you mention the make and model of your phone.
    09-12-2017 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

!! Sorry, thought I had included that info. The phone is a Vodafone model VFD 700, which I imagine is in fact a branded clone of something else.

The app does identify itself as "File Manager v5.2.8 ..." And was installed by default and not added by me.
    09-14-2017 03:36 AM
    Still no help - the manufacturer's model number, or even just the manufacturer, might help. If there's nothing on the label, see if Vodaphone will tell you.
    09-14-2017 11:35 AM
    The Vodafone site was down yesterday, but is back up now so I will try again.

Mranwhile IMHO
    The app looks like it is the standard android one. It looks similar to what I have seen on various other Android phones from other providers or manufactures.

Now I have tried using as another user, reasoning that would stop any other user installed app interfering, and then I did clear the apps data and cache, but still see no SafeBox or option to turn it back on.

This appears to be details of this model, "snart ultra 7" confirming it has fairly untouched software
    Software and Performance Review | Trusted Reviews
    09-15-2017 03:06 AM
    There's no "standard Android one" - Samsung, for instance, uses an app named My Files. So not knowing who made it gives us no clue to what the app is. (And neither the Vodafone page nor Google helps in any way.)

It could be that they had complaints about Safe Box, so they just eliminated it, leaving you with no way to get to the files without root. And it could be that they'll issue another update putting it back but not letting you pout any files into it, only letting you move files out of it, to get around some problem. But, as of now, unless you root, there's probably nothing you can do.

(You do back up all your important files to something other than the phone, right?)
    09-15-2017 12:09 PM
    Yes everything important backed up, multiple times so probsbly nothing; certainly nothing important; lost. It was a handy extra layer of security as apparently encrypting files and using a password, and it was advert free.

I will have to see what else is available there seems to be a lot of choice.

Thanks for taking time to help.
    09-15-2017 02:14 PM