Hey there.

So after i updated my Nexus 5X to the new Android 8, one of the legacy apps don't work anymore. Opening it just keeps giving me "The app stopped working." And nothing else. I have tried to reinstalll, reboot the device, etc. And the important thing is i need to have it on this particular version, the newer version works fine.

I don't want to revert back to Android 7.1.2 for it, but i have to if it requires it.

Why doesn't it work in the newer Android anymore? How could i troubleshoot it, is there any "legacy enabler" thing for Android to let it work?

Thanks!
    09-13-2017 07:45 AM
    What legacy app? What developer? When was it last updated (looking at the entry in the Play Store)?
    09-13-2017 07:53 AM
    It's one local noname. It does have updates, like i mentioned in the post. But i need this exacvt version for my task.
    09-13-2017 08:10 AM
    Unfortunately, you'll likely either need to pick the OS version or app version. As Android matures, changes in the OS architecture can cause apps developed for older versions to stop working.
    09-13-2017 08:29 AM
    Email the developer and ask if (and if so, when) they plan on coming out with a version that will run in Android 8.

There's no "legacy enabler" possibility - either something was dropped from the new version of Android, something was changed, or the developer, in order to not get complaints of the app not working properly, has it checking the Android version and, if it's greater than 7, the app simply quits. (If you're a good Java developer, you could look in the app's apk file and see where the problem occurs and write a patch for it - but if you could, you probably would have already.)
    09-13-2017 11:40 AM