How can I update my S5?

Johnwhite5823

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I know this is an old phone but I wanted to try updating it. So if anybody can help, I would strongly appreciate it.
I have an unlocked Galaxy S5 that I purchased from Amazon. It's an AT&T branded phone but I am using T-Mobile through a SIM card.
In "About device", it says it is a SM-G900A and it is running Kitkat 4.4.2. It also says it is "Kernel version".
I'm not really sure what this means but it would be helpful if someone guided me update it to the newest possible Android version.

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
AFAIK, there is at least a Marshmallow version for SM-G900A.
Do you use Smart Switch or Kies on your PC? You may update your phone with them. Connect your S5 to PC and run the software. If there is any update for your phone, it will pop up a small window. Make a backup first.

You can also download Android 6.0 ROM for SM-G900A and flash it through Odin, but this is complicated and risky if you are not familiar with it.

Try Smart Switch or Kies first and see what happens.

Johnwhite5823

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Smart Switch doesn't mention that there is a new update available and Kies states that it already has the latest firmware.
Is there a reason why there appears to be no further updates?
I'm willing to flash it if I have to. Where can I download the ROM that's specifically for my device?

Johnwhite5823

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks so much!
I followed the steps for "From Any Version" and followed the Odin method. As described, my phone was wiped but I saved it all beforehand on Smart Switch. Everything went really smooth.
Thanks for everything, feels a lot better not to be stuck on Kitkat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke