Is this phone legit?

droid0700

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I recently got a replacement Galaxy S7 SM-G930 at&t unlocked. Straight out of the box I noticed several things, #1 being that there was no at&t logo on bootup. After initial set up #2 popped up. The phone was running Android 6.0.1, strange considering this was a supposedly new phone that should have had 7.0 installed. #3 was the fact that the phone was missing several preinstalled apps that I have seen on other S7s such as lookout, most of the google apps, smart switch, amazon, etc. #4 , the IMEI and S/N numbers on a sticker on the back of the phone and the one that you get from dialing *#66# didn't match up. #5 , phone randomly turns off and doesn't respond in any way until plugged into the charger. I don't know if this is just me or is something off? Would appreciate and input.

EDIT: the IMEI numbers are the same, the Serial Numbers are different

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you contacted AT&T about your concerns?

Are they the ones who sent you this device?

It does sound weird, especially when numbers don't match.

Sent From Inside the TARDIS with my Note 8

droid0700

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
No this was a phone bought off Ebay. I'm thinking of just returning it and buying from someone more trustworthy. I looked into it more and the the Serial Number on the back and the the one from *#06# were almost the same except for 1 number. A SN checker said that there was a 6 month difference between the manufacturing date of the Serial Numbers/phones. How could a phone be missing stock apps. Did someone flash the phone with a custom ROM or use root access to disable all the at&t things? The listing says unlocked at&t so I would expect att apps, even if its mostly bloatware.

BoogieNY

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd return it ASAFP. And let the seller know it seems like there's a problem. And maybe contact AT&T once you've received a refund and let them know what happened. The seller might be legit and he might not, but it sounds like something is off.

droid0700

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
I've already opened a refund request, I just don't get what this phone is. Did someone completely mess with it and then pack it up in original packaging and sell it as a genuine, new phone?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yep. You got taken. I would immediately change EVERY password for EVERY account that you used on that phone, encrypt it, then factory reset it and get a refund.

You have NO idea what the seller put on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995