Service providers/manufactures should have to warranty phones against defects for life of contract?

Papagiglio

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Motorola Droid Turbo 2 purchased in 11/2015 now has a pink vertical line from top to bottom. Motorola won't warranty after 1 year, but Verizon has you locked into two year contract. Motorola refuses to address the issue outside of the 1yr warranty. Consumer is stuck with defective phone and no recourse to fix issue except to pay to either fix or replace phone. Many reported issues. Obvious manufacturer defect. Just seems like the consumer is always taking it in the shorts! Why isn't this the case?

milehigher

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
That's why you buy thru someplace that offers a fix or replace warranty like best buy ,my 3 month old device had a battery meltdown Samsung refused to honor warranty fortunately I was able to fall back on best buy who looked at and gave me a new one ,When you buy a flagship device and the manufacturer turns there back on you and burns you for a grand it's more than inconvient , and I agree with you manufacturers should repair or replace for the life of initial contract,but until consumers make there voice heard they will continue goughing us , we are little fountains of easy money.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The fix or replace isn't a warranty, it's a service contract after the warranty runs out - and you pay extra for it.

I go along with what Papagiglio says, to a point. If you're locked into a 2 year contract, the carrier should pick up the warranty for the remaining 12 months. Or the contract should be no longer than the warranty.

It's like the TV/Internet deals you see on TV - a contract for 2 years but a one year price guarantee. Then they can quadruple the price and you're still locked in.

Let's face it - if you want the product, you have to accept their terms - an individual consumer is in no position to set terms.

I wouldn't mind if the phone manufacturer had to not only warranty the phone for life, but was forced to keep updating the software for life. But that's going to happen as soon as people grow wings.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Because the warranty and contracts are two different things. A warranty is the manufacturer's guarantee. They have no control on how long the contract with the carrier will run for. I doubt they even care. The carrier already paid them for the phone.

That said, in some cases you can purchase an extended warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac