GPS Measurement Co-ordinates

Cedric48

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I am using my Motorola Moto G 4G LTE to determine locations of various objects of interest for Family history purposes.

1 st Question: Is the GPS Status App (free version) appropriate for this? I have also tried the Maps Coordinates App, but I believe it gives less accurate results (I have taken observations of known survey marks with both Apps)

2nd Q: If it is an appropriate App, I am getting a GPS unavailable message during some of my measurement sessions. I usually have background data restricted on my phone, but switching that on does not seem to remove that message.

Is there a limit to how many observations you can take in a session with the free version, or is this message due to some other cause?

At the same time as I see this message, it seems to experience problems getting reasonable fixes, ie instead of quickly reaching a 3 metre error fix, maybe using 14 of 22 visible satellites, it suddenly can't do better than 9 m error.

Any suggestions welcomed

Cedric48

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I posted I got an error message the post had failed, sometimes referring to my username, sometimes to a quite different user. But I then saw that my question had posted 3 times, and I could not delete the extra 2.

But I would appreciate advice on the "GPS disabled" message.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what I am doing wrong

Most likely nothing, the forum had some updates recently and there are a couple bugs running around :) You are probably right, you only have limited use for the free version of that app. I use GPS Test Plus and don't see any limitations so you might want to consider a paid version of one of the GPS apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech