Directory view miss-match within app (cannot see external storage path)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi all. New to the forum so please bear with me. I've now been a long time Apple convert, lured by the freedom and control that Android boasts. Up to now I've been very impressed with what Android can do, specifically in relation to external SD Cards. I keep a lot of information and media on removable SD that I frequently swap between devices - convenient, right? Seems not any more.... although there are various file managers that will allow the movement of media from internal to external what I really want to do is for individual apps to have direct access. I understand that this is done through permission granting in the devices app control panel but I've noticed a few oddities and was hoping somebody had the answer. Take Boatbrowser, my preferred Android browser. Up to Android 6, when downloading a file direct from the web in the browser - saving a picture, downloading a off etc. I could simply select the path (a file it owned on the external SD Card) and download dorectly to it. Now however, since Android 7, I can no longer select the file path and the browser no longer seems able to look outside of the Emulated/0 path. I did think this was down to coding permissions in the app until I went into the other side of the download section, it's file manager, where it could look above Emulated/0 to navigate across to the External card. Furthermore the Boatbrowser file manager could perform all the functions with the files in the folder that it could on all previous versions of Android!? In summary my question is how on earth do I get the app to view it's file (that it owns) on the External SD Card??
Sorry that's a little convoluted but this is really starting to frustrate me and really hoping somebody can help. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That might have to do with new restrictions on Nougat, or possibly the need for the developers to update their code. If you don't get any good answers here, try emailing the developers and ask them: boatbrowser@gmail.com