How do I remove the most recent software update on my Samsung s8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Since doing the latest upgrade yo my phone I find the fast charger is no longer fast. My battery life on my phone drains twice as fast and this is not blowing it out of proportion. My phone seems slower ie when I play games I can see it takes much longer to load. I would like to revert my phone before I did the recent software update.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I would suggest doing a factory reset, this "most" times solves those type of issues after a large update. Regardless, the other method is to use Odin to reinstall a previous version, to which opens up other issues that could occur. I would try the factory reset first.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You can also try wiping the cache partition before going nuclear with the factory reset option.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with H3aTeRzz but what they didn't explain is that doing a factory reset won't restore an older version of your OS. It will reinstall the current OS and the reason this often helps is because the live update is not so much installing its self as it is patching holes and making changes all while not losing any data. It's kind of like taking a brick out of a wall and replacing it without tearing down the wall. That brick is going to stand out. By factory resetting the device you are tearing down the wall and rebuilding it so that all of the bricks match. Granted you will loose some data, i.e. log-ins + passwords, maybe some setup preferences, game saves but if you backup your device prior to the reset you can minimize that a lot. Factory resetting a device after a major update used to be very common place, updates seem to go a little smoother these days but there is always the occasional glitch or bug which makes them still useful.

The Odin suggestion is basically a root method. While rooting a device offers some niceties it also opens up room for problems if you're not a tinkerer and it will require some know how. Knowing where to get a factory version of the OS you want back, not someone's knock off version of it, making sure all changes from the update are wiped out, etc etc etc.

The long and short of it, try a factory reset see if your issues don't subside and enjoy your phone.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@VidJunky Not really. There are essentially 3 sections of storage on an Android device - system, user data, cache partition. When an OS is updated the system section is updated. When a factory reset is done, the user and cache sections are wiped but the system is kept intact. There simply isn't the storage capacity on a mobile phone to keep even a compressed version of the OS to reinstall during an FDR and it certainly doesn't download a fresh copy from the internet.

There is no "reinstalling" of the OS during an FDR. It's still a "patched" OS when the FDR is done. The best chance to fully refresh the OS and install it as "clean" as possible would be to use ODIN to install a factory ROM from Samsung. Going this route can result in a factory reset device, essentially.