Galaxy S5 sounds better through bluetooth than my other phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, Im an audiophile, when Im listening to music, im actually listening to how the hardware sounds.
I have a set of bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth portable speaker.

Speaker info that you can skip as not that relevant: The speaker is DIY and not really all that portable due to size and weight (uses 18v 4Ah Makita battery packs), but it has a better SQ than any of the other setups I have, including my Altec Lansing 890 and 995 speakersets, of which the 995 has the bass drivers upgraded to 2x Peerless SLS 6.5", this of course goes way louder than the BT speaker, but hasnt got the SQ of the BT speaker when paired with the S5.

So Im still using the S5 phone because didnt need anything else, its great so far for me. I have an equaliser installed, Music Volume EQ, and when using the BT speaker, it has the bass boost dial at 1`o clock. It puts out the kind of bass that isnt punchy, but outright explosive, and capable of shaking the floor...at midnight, when volume is so low that nobody in the house wakes up. Very tight bass, very well controlled, not boomy or muddy at all, and despite this it still goes very low, I`d say no trouble with reproducing 30Hz. If you could listen to it, you`d agree that the SQ is well into true Hi-Fi territory. Which is amazing considering that it cost me about $15 to make (for the bluetooth amp board, had everything else).

Now I tried the same tracks, on different android phone and then a tablet, and was rather dissapointed. Xperia M2 using the same equaliser app, same settings, but the amazing sq is gone. Bass doesnt go as low as on the S5 and highs doesnt go as high. Overall it sounds ordinary, sound is still clean and all, but that deep as fuuu bass is nowhere to be heard, and no sign of that...simply magical sound quality. I tweaked and tweaked, but nothing. Note that the inbuild eq on the S5 is disabled. So im not running an EQ over an EQ.

Then I tried on Amazon Fire 7 tablet that runs the exact same Music Volume EQ as the M2 and S5, and it sounds exactly like the M2, good sound quality, but nothing special like the S5.

Repeated my tests on the headphones, same results.
Question: what, why, how?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
On specs provided in GSMArena, the S5 supports Bluetooth EDR, or Enhanced Data Rate, while the Sony does not. No info on the Fire, but I would expect it to be the same as the Sony.

Basically, the Bluetooth file transfer from the S5 is at a higher bitrate than the other devices. Higher bitrate = better quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy