Andoid TV box, very slow wifi speed

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've taken delivery of a Tanix TX92 Android TV box. This box is one of the newer models with really good specs.

The box is connected to my wifi network. I've got a Linksys EA3500 router and the box is about 12-15 feet away from the router. My Internet service is 100Mbps with unlimited throughput.

When trying to watch anything via the box, the stream stutters/buffers continuously. Running a speed test on the box maxes out at 3Mbps. More often under 1Mbps. If I run through a VPN (IP Vanish), speeds are cut by at least 50%.

Running a speed test on 2 other devices in the same room top out at 26-30 Mbps.

It's, apparently, not my wifi network. Streaming Netflix, or CraveTV, via my phone, or tablet, to the TV via Chromecast is not a problem.

The issue appears to be with the box. Given its specs, the slow speed seems odd.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks.

David Elliot

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. I have to TX92 also. I get 72 mbps on my main floor computer, my box is about 15 feet away and when I run the speed test am only getting 1.1 mbps...
Very frustrating hopefully somebody has a solution

prmprm

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
I experienced the same problem. I solved the problem as follows. Do not use TKIP encryption. Just use AES.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As @prmprm said, do not use TKIP or TKIP+AES in the router.

When trying to watch anything via the box, the stream stutters/buffers continuously. Running a speed test on the box maxes out at 3Mbps.
That's usually due to the path between your ISP and the server you're streaming from. (But, as in this case, it was due to the path between the router and the box. Some older Android WiFi setups just can't handle TKIP properly. Same router, Note 3, Facebook would still be loading pictures now, more than 6 years later - it never finished.)

More often under 1Mbps. If I run through a VPN (IP Vanish), speeds are cut by at least 50%.
That's how a VPN works. You get IP anonymity (kinda-sorta - if the VPN is located in the US, all you get is a loss of speed - the VPN service has to keep logs of who did what when and, in the case of the government coming after people stealing intellectual property, they get those logs, so using the Vpn was worthless).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary