Android can't connect to internet while connected to camera's WiFi Options

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello all,

I'm trying to keep my cellular internet connection available while my mobile is connected to GoPro WiFi network, my mobile device is Samsung S8 running android v7.0, I have tried, without any success, to follow whatever i could find to fix that: setting the WiFi settings as static info, setting fixed IP and router, using "Smart Network Switch" and also "Aggressive Switching" but no joy… can’t get to stay connected to the GoPro WiFi and have internet connection from my cell carrier at the same time.

I’m straggling with this for so much time now it drives me nuts Smiley Sad

Any thought would be highly appreciated!!!

many thanks in advance!

Best to all,

Wheelie

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If the camera is acting as a router/server, you will not be able to access both the camera and internet at the same time because your phone can only attach to one router at a time since it has only one network card.

Based on the few videos I have need showing how to setup the gopro wifi connection to a phone, this seems to be the case.

If you have your mobile data turned on, you might be able to still get an internet connection that way, maybe.

wheelie tips

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
@ManiacJoe

Thank you for your reply!

I do have my mobile data turned on but it seems that the phone is set to use the WiFi as default if it is connected to one regardless if it has internet connection or not, since the mobile data and the Wifi are based on two different network interface cards I don't understand why one can't connect to a WiFi network that doesn't have an internet connection and at the same time to get internet connection from the phone's mobile data... looks like a reasonable request :)

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I do have my mobile data turned on but it seems that the phone is set to use the WiFi as default if it is connected to one regardless if it has internet connection or not
Yes, that is the way they all work.
When requesting a network connection, the apps make the choice of "data only", "prefer wifi", "wifi only". The assumption is that both networks will always connect to the internet.