How do I transfer contacts and memory?

MihajloSimsic

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
My LG G3 stopped working and went blue screen. I got aN LG G4 and I have no idea how to get my contacts, apps, music, and memory back through my Google account.

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Google Play Music should be the same, but I'm not sure cause I don't use it.
For apps, you have to install them again through Google Play Store. What do you mean "memory"? Usually, Google back up contacts, calendar, some app data, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MihajloSimsic

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
Google Play Music should be the same, but I'm not sure cause I don't use it.
For apps, you have to install them again through Google Play Store. What do you mean "memory"? Usually, Google back up contacts, calendar, some app data, etc.

What I meant by memory was downloads (such as PDFs and powerpoints and music) I logged into Google on the G4 and it doesn't work. It said that everything was backed up on my G3 but now all of a sudden it says no contacts are synced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
For contacts, you can check the status on Gmail. Log in Gmail on a PC browser, click the triangle icon next to Gmail (on the top-left), then choose Contacts. If you can find contacts there, then you can restore them to your new phone. I don't have a G4, but you may check the settings option of Contacts app or the backup and restore function.

As far as I know, Google doesn't back up download files unless you uploaded them to Google Drive. You can log in Google Drive and check.

MihajloSimsic

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
For contacts, you can check the status on Gmail. Log in Gmail on a PC browser, click the triangle icon next to Gmail (on the top-left), then choose Contacts. If you can find contacts there, then you can restore them to your new phone. I don't have a G4, but you may check the settings option of Contacts app or the backup and restore function.

As far as I know, Google doesn't back up download files unless you uploaded them to Google Drive. You can log in Google Drive and check.

Ok thanks!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It depends on how you backed up or synced the data on the old phone.

Contacts need to be entered into your Google account in the Contacts app -- if they were entered into the local Phone account, then they don't sync to your Google account. Go to contacts.google.com on your computer browser -- do you see any of the contacts there? If not, then your contacts are gone.

The Google Play Store keeps track of apps you've installed, so on your new phone, if you open the Play Store, tap Menu>My Apps>Library, you can see all of the apps you've ever purchased and installed. But this doesn't mean your app data is saved -- only some apps will backup data to your Google account. There used to be a way to see which apps were backing up data by going to your Google Dashboard on the web (myaccount.google.com/dashboard) and clicking the Android section, but it looks like that specific info is no longer available.

If your music is all in your Google Play Music library in the cloud, then you can easily access it on the new phone using the Play Music app. If the music was only saved locally to the phone, then it's gone.

Other data will depend on the app it's associated with, and how it was saved.

EDIT: Merged duplicate threads. I responded to your duplicate thread before realizing that others had responded here, so sorry for any repetition.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And, as B. Diddy said, enter all your contacts as Google contacts from now on (you can't change that after a contact is added). And make sure you have contacts checked to sync in Accounts/Google/<your account>.

Update - that's been changed - you now can change the type of contact by just editing it. So check all your contacts, and edit the ones that aren't linked to your Google account and change them.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech