Can’t decide between Moto X4, G5 Plus, or G5S Plus

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I was at the same place a couple of months ago, wait for the X4, get the G5+ or go for the new G5S+. I finally bought the G5S+.

It all depends on your preferences, but these were my reasons.

G5+. Excellent value for money. My wife's got one so I've been using it for a while. She prefers hers to mine.

G5S+. Same performance and similar battery life as the G5+. Bigger screen, better materials (and looks), better speaker, more RAM (international models), more recent version of Android and I manage to get better pictures with this phone than with the G5+.

X4. I was very interested about this model. Better SoC, camera, radios, new features ... A couple of things put me off, though. It seems battery life is not so good as on the Gs, glass back and system & preinstalled apps take basically half of the 32GB of storage.

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was at the same place a couple of months ago, wait for the X4, get the G5+ or go for the new G5S+. I finally bought the G5S+.

It all depends on your preferences, but these were my reasons.

G5+. Excellent value for money. My wife's got one so I've been using it for a while. She prefers hers to mine.

G5S+. Same performance and similar battery life as the G5+. Bigger screen, better materials (and looks), better speaker, more RAM (international models), more recent version of Android and I manage to get better pictures with this phone than with the G5+.

X4. I was very interested about this model. Better SoC, camera, radios, new features ... A couple of things put me off, though. It seems battery life is not so good as on the Gs, glass back and system & preinstalled apps take basically half of the 32GB of storage.

The X4 (US version) doesn’t come in a 64GB model like the G5+ and G5S+? That’s very disappointing, but an SD card solves that I think.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
About the SD card. I have a mixed experience here. Adoptable/internal storage is too buggy and risky for my liking, definitely a no go. I use an SD card, as external storage, on my old X Play and it's good for basic media files, but quite unreliable with more complicated things, like Spotify playlists for example.

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
About the SD card. I have a mixed experience here. Adoptable/internal storage is too buggy and risky for my liking, definitely a no go. I use an SD card, as external storage, on my old X Play and it's good for basic media files, but quite unreliable with more complicated things, like Spotify playlists for example.

How much available storage do 32GB phones usually have?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It was in a Brazilian Google+ community. Most likely the Android One model uses less storage.
fd604fd4b32e574224adbcf0ad5cfeae.jpg

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing, it depends. In the two Moto G5 models the system takes about 8GB while in the X4 I saw reports that there are less than 17GB of user storage. I'll try to find the link.

That’s insane! Why would the Moto X4 have less available storage than the G5+ models? What’s eating up all that storage? Many 32GB phones I’ve seen have about 22-24GB available.

anon(5743667)

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The X4 is already available in different places (Brazil, Germany, etc) and those are reports from real users.

From what I’ve read, the Moto X4 is a slight spec bump over the Moto G5+ and G5S+. The only additions are a slightly newer processor, USB-C, NFC, Alexa, and a glass back. Maybe I’d be better off saving money and getting the Moto G5+, which has more RAM and storage than the X4 for $100 less and doesn’t have a fragile glass back.

ksefan

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Also the Moto x4 is ip68 water resistant and if you buy it through project fi it's an Android one device so you are getting that pure Android experience that you get with pixel devices

ksefan

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
There is also a prime exclusive one that knocks off 70 bucks. That's a good deal and I'll tell you right now the ads are not as bad as you think plus since it's Android there is work arounds for the ads if need be