I have a Tab S model SM T800. It dropped yesterday and now the top right corner has a large ink blot, and the rest of the screen is glitchy. The screen didn't crack, but can I replace the digitizer to fix it? And if so, where is the best place to get one. I saw some for $25. Is that for real? It seems so inexpensive.
    10-24-2017 10:34 AM
    First, if the screen is getting glitchy and there's a blot in a corner, it's not the digitizer that needs replacement, it's the entire screen. (The digitizer is just one layer of the screen.)

Second, no matter what you've seen on YouTube, I wouldn't suggest that you do it yourself. Those "this is my first time" videos may be the first time he's replacing the screen on a Tab S, but I've never seen any video of someone replacing a screen who didn't look as if he's done many screens in the past. (In my shops, you had to replace the screens on 10 dead phones (that we kept for that purpose) before you could touch the screen on a customer's phone. (And replacing 10 screens successfully usually meant about 15-20 tries, It's not easy taking a phone (or tab) apart, replacing the screen, then putting it all back together - without breaking something. So pay a shop to do it - it's cheaper than doing it yourself, then paying a shop to repair the damage you've done (if they'll even work on it once you've been into it - some shops won't.)

A replacement screen goes for around $180 (plus labor) - which hardly pays considering that you can buy a good used Tab S for about the same price (and no labor).
    10-24-2017 11:19 AM