I've had this problem for months now with no luck in finding an answer online so I'm posting a new thread.

One day in April for no apparent reason, many of my contacts just disappeared and I noticed because in whatsapp instead of showing their names I only saw their numbers, and when received calls from people I know also didn't show their names. These are contacts I had in my contact list for years. However not all of my contacts were deleted only a few.

So what I did is add them again. They would remain saved for a few minutes, but after that they disappeared again and showed only their numbers.

I tried restoring google contacts but no luck there, android keeps deleting my contacts. I usually stored them with my google account, so I tried storing them with my hotmail account, but same thing, they would immediately look as they were saved correctly with their names and everything, but later they would disappear. So i'm guessing it's an android problem, not a google contacts problem.

I haven't done a phone factory reset because going through that ordeal again is just something I would want to avoid, so I hope someone can help me find a solution without factory resetting the phone. Thanks.
    10-25-2017 09:42 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! If you add the contacts to your Google account from within the Contacts app, do they show up on the web if you go to contacts.google.com? When they disappear from the phone, do they also disappear from the web?
    10-26-2017 03:32 AM
    I have a Moto X phone and had the same problem. I would enter a new contact either directly or from a phone call and it would disappear an hour later. I solved this problem by not adding contacts directly to my phone, instead using my laptop I go to the google account contacts page and add, delete, or edit my contacts there. They instantly come up on your phone's contact list, and will not disappear unless you delete them. Use your google account contacts list using your computer to maintain your contacts on your cellphone.
    10-26-2017 11:57 AM
    Yes, they disappeared from both the phone and laptop (web). However, as I read your message I added two new contacts: one with Hotmail and the other one with Google, and it's been some 3-4 hours and neither one has been deleted. I didn't change anything though. I hate it when something fails and you bring the expert to check it out, it fails no more, sigh. Still what could have caused that?
    10-26-2017 12:16 PM
    When you enter a contact into the Contacts app, what's the default account it gets added to? It's not that I don't believe you -- it's just that the process of adding a contact to your Google account vs the local Phone account can be a bit confusing and non-intuitive, and some phones may have the Phone account set as the default account
    10-27-2017 04:53 AM