Does different charger cables affect the phones/tablet charging?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Can the usb to micro usb cable increase or decrease the amount of amps or volts pass through to charge the phone

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the cab;e is too long or too thin, it will lower the charging current a little, but the phone will still charge fully, it will just take a little longer. But we're talking about more than 10 feet ling or a 50 cent cord. Any half-decent cord up to 6 feet long won't affect anything. (And even 10 feet of charging cord probably won't affect the charge time by more than 5 minutes or so.)

If your battery isn't charging fully, it's probably a bad battery.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Most cords will charge the same, some really cheap ones can be poorly made and not up to spec.

It's the charger that plugs into the wall that determines how fast it will charge.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, as long as the charger can supply as much current as the phone draws, the charger has no effect. My Note 3 draws 12300mA - whether it's connected to a Samsung 2 Amp charger or to my 30 Amp 5 Volt supply.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If the cab;e is too long or too thin, it will lower the charging current a little, but the phone will still charge fully, it will just take a little longer. But we're talking about more than 10 feet ling or a 50 cent cord. Any half-decent cord up to 6 feet long won't affect anything. (And even 10 feet of charging cord probably won't affect the charge time by more than 5 minutes or so.)

If your battery isn't charging fully, it's probably a bad battery.

Yeah, I had a dollar store cable that was so bad that out barely charged at all. So they do make a difference.

For more normal priced cables, they are all about the same and the differences come down to durability. About the only brand I buy anymore is Volutz because they last the longest for me and look unique.

jpen10

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My wife's phone shows a msg, "charging slowly. Please use the cable supplied with your phone." Same charger, just different cable that is, in fact, shorter than original.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To add to my answer above: If by 'different', you mean ones that are bad rather than ones that are good, it would make a difference to the charging.
To increase your chances of electrocution, phone damage, and fire, add a bad charger with a faked safety mark to the mix.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone shows a msg, "charging slowly. Please use the cable supplied with your phone." Same charger, just different cable that is, in fact, shorter than original.
I get that same message when even the "cable supplied with [my] phone" goes bad. The message is telling you something important (that it's not charging correctly), but can be a very misleading statement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital