Some Google Photos Questions

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello, I just came back from a trip with lots of videons and photos taken by my Galaxy s8 and gopro5 and I think its time to move on to Google Photos to sort them out (high quality, not original quality).

I have a few questions:

1. What happens to the quality of videos and panoramic pictures taken by galaxy s8 and gopro 5? I read online that photos remain on a quality so close to original that you can not notice any change with less than 500% zoom, is it the case for large (2gb) videons or large panoramic photos?

2. Can I manually create an album by dragging photos and videos into it, and than have it sorted by location? Can I also manually move a photo that was taken in location A under the catagory of location B?

3. I saw that there is an automatic album sorted by location, can I manually edit that album by making certain photos show up on a different location, or not show up at all?

4. How does Google Photos work when the connection is weak? Will I have a hard time viewing my photos / videos?

5. How can I add all videons and photos from a folder in my computer to Google Photos?

6. If I edit a video to trim it, it looses it's location data. Can somthing be done to show the new video on the right location it was taken?

7. I noticed that my gopro videos don't have Filming Location and Filming time data. Can that be manually editted to be able to view them properly on Google Photos?

Thanks a lot!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. What happens to the quality of videos and panoramic pictures taken by galaxy s8 and gopro 5? I read online that photos remain on a quality so close to original that you can not notice any change with less than 500% zoom, is it the case for large (2gb) videons or large panoramic photos?
Changing the size of any picture or video will change the quality. How much depends on the original and on the process used. (And on a phone screen, you probably won't notice any change untill you zoom quite a bit (which you'll see if the size wasn't changed also - after all, the picture is made of pixels, it's not continuous. Zooming makes the pixels more apparent because it makes them larger.)

2. Can I manually create an album by dragging photos and videos into it, and than have it sorted by location? Can I also manually move a photo that was taken in location A under the catagory of location B?
Sure.

3. I saw that there is an automatic album sorted by location, can I manually edit that album by making certain photos show up on a different location, or not show up at all?
Whatever the folder name tghat the photo is in is the album name the photo is in. As for making the photo not show, just add a ',' in front of the file name.

4. How does Google Photos work when the connection is weak? Will I have a hard time viewing my photos / videos?
Google Photos shows the pictures on the phone, it doesn't require a connection.

5. How can I add all videons and photos from a folder in my computer to Google Photos?
Just copy to them with folders that have the names of the albums you want to see them in. (I'd keep all the folders in DCIM because that's where the phone puts them by default.

6. If I edit a video to trim it, it looses it's location data. Can somthing be done to show the new video on the right location it was taken?
There are trimming programs that keep the location. That means that you might have to put the video in your PC, trim it, then copy the trimmed video to the phone.

7. I noticed that my gopro videos don't have Filming Location and Filming time data. Can that be manually editted to be able to view them properly on Google Photos?
Look for an EXIF editor in the Play Store (there are a lot of them). Find the data you want on a picture taken in the same location and put that information into the picture that doesn't have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay