Android and iOS

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This is probably sacrilege, but anyone out there who uses both iOS and Android?

I recently switched from iOS to Android for my main device and am an instant convert.

That said, I will continue to carry a second device, even if for the sole purpose as it is linked to my personal phone number that I had for many years and I don't want to mix my work and personal phone numbers.

Thanks to the dual application function for WhatsApp on the Note 8 however, the latter will remain my primary and go-to device.

Due to the size, robustness and familiarity, I am inclined to buy an iPhone SE as a secondary device and would love to hear some feedback on this.

Alternatively, are there any good small-sized Android phones that could fulfill this function? I did a bit of desktop research but it seems that the phones are either large or exceedingly basic with nothing out there that is really comparable to the SE.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Good idea but I don't think Google Voice is available in the UK. Are there any alternatives here?

EDIT: The ideal solution would be a dual SIM of course but the Note 8 is my work phone and provided by Vodafone. Hence, dual SIM is not an option.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, the iPhone SE is the best small phone currently available. I bought a 128gb version.
None of the very few small high-spec Androids of late has been quite right for me.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Sorry for bringing this up again but I was just about to buy the iPhone SE when I came across the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact online. Did you consider or try that one? If so, what did/didn't you like about it?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I looked at that when shopping for a new phone for my mom. It was pretty nice, but she found it too small after she was using a Note 2, and she liked an AMOLED display so we ended up with something bigger.

Although one thing that could be said for carrying both an iOS and an Android, especially from an iPhone convert, is that you'll still have iMessage if it comes to it. It seems that's a big deal in the US. As far as I can tell no one in my country really uses it. We all stick to Facebook Messenger or Viber. Lol.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, chanchan05.

iMessages is not a big thing in the UK either. It's all WhatsApp here really.

The Sony appeals to me as I am keen to go Apple-less but for once, an Apple device actually appears to be better value for money...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for bringing this up again but I was just about to buy the iPhone SE when I came across the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact online. Did you consider or try that one? If so, what did/didn't you like about it?

I have considered it, and others of the Sony Compact line before it. For me personally, its immediate predecessor, the X Compact, which was current when I was also considering the SE, was uncomfortable to hold because of sharp corners, had curved screen edges making it difficult to add a glass screen protector, had awkwardly-placed volume buttons, and camera software producing results not right for me. The XZ Compact is much better, except for the palm-diggingly uncomfortable corners, which are even sharper. Those are personal objections however and the Sony Compacts are certainly high-spec devices with many admirers.

klasmeister

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Still haven't decided but I'm now considering two very different options.

Option 1 would be the Huawei Mate 10 Pro because it simply looks spectacular. Rather irrational choice of course.

Option 2 would be some sort of device that is practical and rugged so I can use it with the kids when travelling.

Thoughts welcome!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc