Hi All,

I recently bought a new phone and have been trying to transfer old app data into the proper folder on the new phone but am unable to accomplish this for some weird reason. It's like the security settings are set to "Read Only" as I can see the files and folders no problem.

How do I overcome this?

When I plug the phone into the computer (USB) I can see all the folders. The phone and folders are all visible. But when I try and transfer a file from my previous phone, the file does not transfer over. Instead, the computer gives a "warning ding" sound. That's all.

Computer: Windows 10
    Phone: Samsung A5 (2017)

What's going on?
    11-01-2017 10:11 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What directory on the phone are you trying to copy to? Are you sure it's not a protected system directory?
    11-01-2017 01:36 PM
    I'm trying to copy documents over from one App folder (old phone) to another (same app but on the new phone). I was able to do that without a problem on the old Samsung phone. The phone's folders as viewed on the computer seem to be set as "read only." So how do I overcome this?
    11-02-2017 03:45 AM
    After connecting the phone via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon -- is it set to MTP?
    11-02-2017 10:54 AM
    Yup. MTP is selected. Transferring media files. I do the same thing on my old phone but for some reason it doesn't work on the new one. I know it's not a phone error as I have another phone exactly the same which I've tried - same problem. For some reason the folder is "locked."
    11-02-2017 11:11 AM
    Okay, I've fixed the problem. I have no idea why it's happening but I found a solution. I cannot copy information directly to the A5 phone from the older one. If I have two phones plugged in, the files on the A5 become read only. Instead, I have to transfer the documents from the old phone to the computer, unplug the old phone, then transfer them from the computer to the new phone. And with that the folders become read/write.

Thanks for the help offered!
    ManiacJoe and B. Diddy like this.
    11-02-2017 11:45 AM
    Ah, I didn't realize you had both phones plugged in at the same time. I didn't know of this kind of limitation, so it's helpful to post about it. If I were to transfer files from one device to another, I'd probably use the PC as an intermediate anyway, to make sure there's a safe copy of the files on the PC hard drive.
    11-02-2017 05:08 PM
    I have similar problem but in my case I cannot copy the files even to the computer. I am transfering pictures from my android phone to mac with MTP enabled in the phone still while copy pasting or moving files the error msg reads "could not copy"
    Any suggestions
    02-05-2019 07:50 AM