Hi,

I have two email accounts, gmail for personal stuff and then my work email.

I've set my gmail account up just fine on my Samsung S7 but when I try to set my work email up I get to the point where it says ' checking incoming server settings' and then I see an 'authentification' error.

My email is name@domainname.co.uk

I contacted my email provider and then said I must be entering the port numbers wrong. I double checked all that and it's all correct.

I contacted my phone provider (BT) and they told me that it's not possible to set up an IMAP account on a Samsung phone.

Does anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Kathryn
    11-03-2017 10:51 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I don't think BT knows what they're talking about -- IMAP is one of the two standards for email, and it's much preferable over POP3. Some email providers only have a POP3 server, though. Who's the provider?
    11-03-2017 12:26 PM
    Hi,

The hosting company for my website and email is Pipeten.

They tell me the incoming and outgoing servers for email are mail.domainname
    11-03-2017 01:17 PM
    I found some IMAP settings here -- hopefully they haven't changed them since then: https://www.pipeten.info/2014/03/set...-outlook-2013/
    11-03-2017 08:20 PM
    Hi

Yes that's what I've been using.

I just keep getting the failure message. So Pipeten told me to contact my mobile phone provider (BT) and they told me you can't set up an IMAP email account on a Samsung phone.

I'd always had blackberries until a couple of years ago and the email always worked there. BT have now told me that blackberries have a higher level of security and that's why it worked on there and won't work on the samsung. Pity they didn't say that when I swapped from the blackberry to the samsung.

My boyfriend has recently bought a samsung J3 and I tried setting the email up on his phone and I got the same failure message. His phone is with a different provider to me (EE).

I'm now beginning to wonder whether BT might be telling me the right story so I just wondered whether anyone else had managed to successfully set up there IMAP or POP3 email on a Samsung and if they had problems how did they resolve it.
    11-04-2017 04:01 AM
    I wonder if it's a limitation with the stock Samsung Email app, although I doubt it. It seems completely wrong to say that you can't add an IMAP account to a Samsung device, when IMAP has been much more preferable to POP3 for years. Can you try adding the Pipeten IMAP account to your Gmail app?
    11-04-2017 06:19 PM