Last night I received a notification about space running low on my Samsung S7 Edge device (which currently holds a 64 GB micro SD card) so I decided to delete some apps I haven't used in a while.

After deleting a 3rd party music app I noticed about ~100 audio files missing.

I compiled a list of 30 missing files and can't find them in the files folder. I believe some were downloaded through this app, but without the full list of what's missing (I never got around to backing the data up on my computer) that's just a guess. All I know is the audio file count decreased.

My phone is not rooted, and the files were available earlier in the day, so I'm certain deleting the Ares app & file disappearance are connected.

Is there any hope of recovering these files through a recovery program? Or are they gone for good? Has this happened to you before? I couldn't find much info for Android users who experienced this.

All help is greatly appreciated!
    11-05-2017 11:27 AM
    My educated guess:
    If the music app was legally downloading the music, the music files were probably encrypted and hidden so that you could only play them in that app due to copyright restrictions. Thus, deleting the app also deleted those music files.
    11-05-2017 03:16 PM
    Thank you for your response, ManiacJoe. From what I've tracked so far, most of it was not copyrighted content, but files that I downloaded from YouTube (like my cousin's cover songs or live shows, old podcasts from my college radio station, etc.) so I don't think file encryption was the issue.

I suspect that the files I had through the app were placed in a folder and once the app was deleted the folder was too.

If that's the case, once the app was deleted along with the folder, is that folder gone for good, or would it be possible to recover the folder by doing a deep scan? Would I need to root my phone to do that? I tried locating the app in the store again to contact the developer but it seems they took it down.
    11-05-2017 05:11 PM