Why do all of the apps that are automatically installed on my s8 draining my battery by 30%

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

On my s8, the apps that I actually use only take about 5% of my battery. However, other automatically downloaded apps like Android OS and Android systems are using 30% per day. Any ideas on why this is happening?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's not necessarily surprising to see the OS use the most battery, since it's always working. What's more important is your overall battery life on a charge -- is it normal, or does it seem reduced?

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's very low battery usage. Android OS usually uses over 10%, so does Android System.

And that's 5% (or 4%, whichever one we're talking about) of the total drain, not percentage of the battery capacity. So when you've drawn about 40% of capacity (which the graph shows for 8-1/2 hours - which some people would call fantastic), you've drawn about 2% of total battery capacity for Android OS.

I wouldn't complain - you're getting better battery savings than most people complain they wish they could get. Having the battery go to 10% after 8 hours is usually what people wish they could get. You still have about 60% by that time.

(BTW, to keep the battery living as long as possible, never let it drain past 40% - IOW, never use more than 60% of capacity. Lithium batteries are not deep discharge batteries.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your Cell Standby is 3% -- that might suggest poor cell signal for at least part of the time. Poor cell signal can increase battery drain, since the phone has to work harder to maintain the signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX