We can answer most questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
...and are ready and willing to do so if only the questioner makes it possible.

Many guest posters fail to provide the basic information that we need in order to be able to answer. We then have to ask for more, but we don’t just do that: we also Subscribe to that thread so that we are alerted if the poster responds. In the great majority of cases, we hear no more from them.
A golden opportunity to get help and advice has been missed.

All help offered is by volunteers. Of course, we enjoy it, but we enjoy it very much more when questions are asked with as much relevant detail as possible, and all the more so when the questioner subsequently joins as a member to tell us that the answers offered have fixed the problem. Hopefully, they then go on to engage further in the forums and discover how enjoyable membership is.

See this for more detailed guidance:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...tral.com/showthread.php?t=720804&share_type=t

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
When giving details about a device, include the popular name. If you just say D-855, for example, many of us will not know what you mean, and members cannot be expected to have to do research before trying to help. If you say LG G3, we'll know what you mean, and if you say LG G3 D-855, that will tell us the regional variant as well, which is sometimes helpful to know when answering a question.

If a phone is a carrier phone - that is, locked or tied in some way to a particular carrier or network, whether currently or in the past - tell us, since that is sometimes relevant.

These things are found in Settings, About Phone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A team member, trying to help but unable to for want of information in the original question, wrote this as a part of his reply:

"Think about it -- would you go to your auto mechanic and say "my car isn't working" and leave it at that? ;)"

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes, when we actually have answered a question, it's apparently not good enough.

"How do I do so-and-so?" the OP asks. Members, sometimes a whole string of them, offer helpful replies, and the matter seems settled and the problem solved. Then along comes another poster in the same thread, who revives it perhaps long after it was current by asking exactly the same question: "How do I do so-and-so?" without any reference at all to the helpful replies offered, nor even acknowledgement of them, nor any mention of whether they've even read the thread apart from the title, let alone whether they've tried any of the suggestions.

It seems discourteous to all who have participated in the thread, though probably not meant to be. It is difficult to know how to answer, since answers have already been offered, and difficult to understand why it is done. I recommend not doing it. If the suggestions haven't worked, at least say that you've tried them all and that they didn't work.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes, when we actually have answered a question, it's apparently not good enough.

"How do I do so-and-so?" the OP asks. Members, sometimes a whole string of them, offer helpful replies, and the matter seems settled and the problem solved. Then along comes another poster in the same thread, who revives it perhaps long after it was current by asking exactly the same question: "How do I do so-and-so?" without any reference at all to the helpful replies offered, nor even acknowledgement of them, nor any mention of whether they've even read the thread apart from the title, let alone whether they've tried any of the suggestions.

It seems discourteous to all who have participated in the thread, though probably not meant to be. It is difficult to know how to answer, since answers have already been offered, and difficult to understand why it is done. I recommend not doing it. If the suggestions haven't worked, at least say that you've tried them all and that they didn't work.
Agree on this

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like to add...

If we make the effort to assist you, please have enough respect to read and try to understand our replies and any associated links we source for you. Being confused about an explanation is understandable and we'll work with you. If you completely blow over our advice and proceed to ask the exact same things over and over again as if we didn't even attempt to answer, well... Don't expect much sympathy from the other members or to get much help in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Please also don't ask us how to get rid of "this".
"What is this app on my phone?" surprisingly many people ask. "How do I get rid of this?"
We can have no idea what the "this" is, and the question as asked is unanswerable.
Imagine if we were to reply "Simple - you do this to get rid of it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci