I've just noticed this weird thing about the display on my Nexus 7.

I love downloading wallpapers and so far have not encountered any problems. But just today, it being nearly Winter, I decided to get some wallpapers with a snow theme - I downloaded them from Google Images by touching the image and selecting 'download image', being careful to select only images that were 1920 x 1080 pixels.

But when I set them as wallpaper, there are shadowy bands down the left and right sides of each image, just like what photographers would call 'vignetting' or 'light fall-off'. I then checked that it wasn't these new images by taking images I'd already used as wallpaper and had not had a problem with, and those shadowy bands are still there. I even tried the Nexus 7's built-in wallpapers and still get this.

I'd thought that maybe this was a 'feature' - that maybe it was there so that app icons on the sides of the screen would stand out better - but if so, you should be able to switch it off. I've gone to settings - display and there doesn't seem to be a control for it.

The strange thing is, this ONLY happens with wallpaper. For instance, if I go to 'settings', the screen is evenly illuminated, and the same thing goes for websites and my own photos. With everything I try, the screen is evenly illuminated - it's just wallpaper that produces these shady bands down the right and left sides of the display.

Has anyone got any idea of what's happening here? Thanks.
    11-27-2017 07:41 AM
    Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry, I'm not sure what is going on with the wallpapers and the banding on your screen; but I will show this thread to other more experienced Ambassadors and hopefully someone will be able to assist you!
    11-27-2017 09:38 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried a different launcher, like Nova?
    11-27-2017 09:44 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried a different launcher, like Nova?
    I'm inclined to agree with this, it sounds like some problem with the launcher. Which way are you trying to set the wallpaper, from the settings, from the launcher after a long press, from the gallery ...?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    11-27-2017 09:49 AM
    Hi

Thanks for those helpful replies. I never knew there was such a thing as a wallpaper launcher - I just thought you selected a pic, clicked 'set as wallpaper' and that was all there was to it.

To answer one question, I usually set wallpaper in two ways. The first is, I go to settings, then display, then wallpaper, then select a pic. The other way I do it is to touch the screen until the option for setting the wallpaper comes up, then I select the pic from Gallery Pro or from My Photos, depending where the pic is.
    11-28-2017 03:25 AM
    I have a Nexus 7 2013, running Marshmallow and using the Google Now launcher. I have zero problems with wallpapers. As others have mentioned above, the trouble you are experiencing may be caused by whatever launcher you are using, so you may care to try another from the Play Store, such as Nova, if only diagnostically.
    11-28-2017 06:48 AM
    Also, since this problem started recently it's possible that there's a conflict with an app that you downloaded or that was updated the last few days. See what's listed on the Play Store under 'recently updated'.

As basic troubleshooting, go to settings - apps - select Google Now launcher - clear cached data and restart the device.

Another option could be booting in safe mode and see if the same problem still persists.
    11-28-2017 07:10 AM
    Another thought. Do these bands show up on both portrait and landscape mode?
    11-28-2017 07:11 AM