Hello guys

As the titl say, every once & a while the content in pictures folder gets deleted on their own, I dunno how to know the source of the problem.
    I had nexus 6p before & had the problem now I use HTC U11 & the problem still persists, iv read on the net it's probably due to a clean up app & I never used any clean up apps on either phones.
    Anyone knows certain apps that does that :/? or know a way to know the source of the problem?
    I already lost +300 photos so far due to this problem & many of them were important summeries I used for my studies, the only solution I found is backing up folders through google photos & this costs money and isn't practical for everything tbh.

Regards
    11-30-2017 10:47 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What's the actual directory where these photos are being saved to? If they were taken by the Camera app, then it should be /DCIM/Camera -- are you seeing photo files actually disappearing from that directory?

Or are you downloading photos to the Download directory, then leaving them there? Automatic cleanup apps might delete the contents of the Downloads directory on a periodic basis, if you didn't specify otherwise.

Backing up photos to your Google Photos in the cloud doesn't cost any money, as long as you choose the High Quality upload option (and not Original Quality). You get unlimited storage of High Quality photos (which is about 16 megapixel quality, with a small amount of compression that is very difficult to notice). https://support.google.com/photos/an...DAndroid&hl=en
    Ali1337 likes this.
    12-01-2017 12:01 AM
    Well the problem is not with the camera photos its with the pics I download + screenshot aka every file in the folder "pictures" the applications folder are there however the files inside them gets emptied
    12-01-2017 06:28 AM
    That makes me suspect even more that it's some automatic cleaner -- either one that was preinstalled (or part of the system), or one that you installed. If you didn't install any dedicated "cleaner" apps, then did you install any other 3rd party security or "RAM booster" apps, like Clean Master?
    Ali1337 likes this.
    12-01-2017 07:00 PM
    That makes me suspect even more that it's some automatic cleaner -- either one that was preinstalled (or part of the system), or one that you installed. If you didn't install any dedicated "cleaner" apps, then did you install any other 3rd party security or "RAM booster" apps, like Clean Master?
    Nope, the only app I'm using for that is boost+ the one that comes in htc U11 stock, the problem has been there since nexus 6p & I didn't have any cleaner since then (boost+ wasn't installed on 6p)
    12-07-2017 01:17 AM
    Is there anything wrong with your timezone by any chance?

A conflict in timezones - actual real-time timezone vs timestamp-timezone - can cause things like downloads and photos to mysteriously disappear, too.

I only know this because that's what happened to me before. I traveled, my device registered a different timezone, somehow my default timezone got changed, and after that, my photos and downloads started to disappear ever since. I'd take pictures and save things only to have them disappear anywhere from days to hours to even minutes later.

Also, if you have an SD card, if it somehow gets stuck to 'Read-Only', that can be an issue, too.

Sorry to hear about the problem.
    Ali1337 likes this.
    12-07-2017 01:48 AM
    the problem has been there since nexus 6p & I didn't have any cleaner since then (boost+ wasn't installed on 6p)
    What Android version was your Nexus 6P on? There's a Smart Storage features that's standard on Pixels (and I think it came to the Nexus 6P as well with an update, but I'm not sure): https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../2840863?hl=en
    Ali1337 likes this.
    12-07-2017 09:47 AM
    What Android version was your Nexus 6P on? There's a Smart Storage features that's standard on Pixels (and I think it came to the Nexus 6P as well with an update, but I'm not sure): https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../2840863?hl=en
    I'm not sure tbh, I think 7.1.
    I used to update it as soon as an update gets released untill may 2017 which is when it started bootlooping
    12-07-2017 09:51 AM
    Is there anything wrong with your timezone by any chance?

A conflict in timezones - actual real-time timezone vs timestamp-timezone - can cause things like downloads and photos to mysteriously disappear, too.

I only know this because that's what happened to me before. I traveled, my device registered a different timezone, somehow my default timezone got changed, and after that, my photos and downloads started to disappear ever since. I'd take pictures and save things only to have them disappear anywhere from days to hours to even minutes later.

Also, if you have an SD card, if it somehow gets stuck to 'Read-Only', that can be an issue, too.

Sorry to hear about the problem.
    Nope no time zone problems
    I do have an sd card, I don't think the problem is with it though, all other folders are fine it's just this folder for some reason :/
    12-07-2017 10:13 AM
    Ali, it doesn't cost anything to back up your pictures. Even if you have to pay for data, you can back up by wifi (which should be free) or you can back to a PC or even to a large USB stick (you'll need an OTG adapter, but that's a few dollars at most). Then if there's a picture you need on the phone that's disappeared, just restore it from backup.

And you should put all your pictures in the DCIM folder and folders inside that. (DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages, and the phone wouldn't clean up anything in DCIM or folders under it.) Even if you download pictures and they end up in Downloads, copy them to a folder in DCIM (preferably on your SD card formatted as portable storage, so that you can put in a larger card if needed). Once a picture is there and you can see it (find it in a file manager, tap it and your default photo viewer app should open and show it), delete the original. (300 large pictures [50MB each] would take 15GB of storage, and that's better done on a good SD card [like a SanDisk] than internally.)

There's an old computer rule, much older than mobile phones, that says, "Any file you don't have backed up is a file you don't need". It was true in in the 1970s and it's still true today. If you need it, back it up. (Even if you don't have enough free storage space on Google Drive [which you get automatically by having an Android phone], you can get 50GB free storage on MEGA, and it's a pretty fast storage facility. People use it for phone ROMs, which are typically about 2GB each, and the downloads don't take that long. A few hundred pictures would hardly begin using your 50GB. Again, if data costs you, use wifi.)
    B. Diddy and Ali1337 like this.
    12-07-2017 10:42 AM
    Ali, it doesn't cost anything to back up your pictures. Even if you have to pay for data, you can back up by wifi (which should be free) or you can back to a PC or even to a large USB stick (you'll need an OTG adapter, but that's a few dollars at most). Then if there's a picture you need on the phone that's disappeared, just restore it from backup.

And you should put all your pictures in the DCIM folder and folders inside that. (DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages, and the phone wouldn't clean up anything in DCIM or folders under it.) Even if you download pictures and they end up in Downloads, copy them to a folder in DCIM (preferably on your SD card formatted as portable storage, so that you can put in a larger card if needed). Once a picture is there and you can see it (find it in a file manager, tap it and your default photo viewer app should open and show it), delete the original. (300 large pictures [50MB each] would take 15GB of storage, and that's better done on a good SD card [like a SanDisk] than internally.)

There's an old computer rule, much older than mobile phones, that says, "Any file you don't have backed up is a file you don't need". It was true in in the 1970s and it's still true today. If you need it, back it up. (Even if you don't have enough free storage space on Google Drive [which you get automatically by having an Android phone], you can get 50GB free storage on MEGA, and it's a pretty fast storage facility. People use it for phone ROMs, which are typically about 2GB each, and the downloads don't take that long. A few hundred pictures would hardly begin using your 50GB. Again, if data costs you, use wifi.)
    I get ur point & that's wat I'm doing with all my screenshots & camera photos which are the important pictures that I actually need & not want, I even ended up paying for google drive cause I was already using 14 gb for important files to keep all the pictures in full quality
    My problem is with the "pictures folder" as I said, I won't lie beside the screenshot they're not that important they're mostly memes & backgrounds, but it's annoying :') I mean you don't buy a phone and expect it's contents to be deleted on it's own & no one wants to keep backing up every single picture he downloads.
    & wat I hate mostly about the google photos back up is that it just sticks all the picture in 1 folder sorted by the date.
    I just went to see things through & as expected they're all empty even though I took more than 10 screenshots in the past 3 days, they're backed up luckily as I said :')
    12-07-2017 10:24 PM
    Can you confirm that you looked for the Smart Storage feature and either didn't find one in the system settings, or found it and made sure it was turned off?

The thing about Google Photos is that you can easily create albums in your cloud and organize your photos that way. It doesn't just have to be the main Photos feed that shows every single photo you've ever backed up. And the Search function in Google Photos is ridiculously good -- have you tried it?
    Ali1337 likes this.
    12-08-2017 10:10 AM
    I couldn't find anything related to smart storage on the phone tbh
    about the folder, do I have to do it manually for every photo or can it upload the folders just like how they are on the phone as separate albums? cause I couldn't find the second option, it would be perfect if it's possible
    12-09-2017 06:09 AM
    about the folder, do I have to do it manually for every photo or can it upload the folders just like how they are on the phone as separate albums? cause I couldn't find the second option, it would be perfect if it's possible
    Open your gallery, select settings, select Sync, select all the folders you want to sync. This will keep a copy in the cloud. Since only picture files are disappearing, as said, something has a setting which is doing this. Check your apps recently installed and put them to sleep.
    Open Camera, go to Settings, what is your storage path?
    12-09-2017 07:08 AM
    If you turn the Sync on for a Device Folder besides the Camera folder, those photos will be uploaded to Google Photos, but not the folder/album itself. You'd have to create a Googla Photos album yourself, then select those photos to be part of that album. I just tested this out by turning on Sync for my Hangouts device folder (i.e., the folder that has any photo I took while using the Hangouts app). Those photos uploaded, but a new album called "Hangouts" did not appear automatically in my Google Photos Album list.
    12-10-2017 01:38 AM