Can I update a Verizon unlocked Moto E4 without bricking it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Have an unlocked Verizon prepaid Moto E4 running with a T-Mobile SIM card on the T-Mobile network..
Getting messages to update the phone software,

1. Can I do that via Google Play for APPS like Chrome, GMAIL, etc,,
and also the Android phone system software without bricking the phone?

I do not have the original unlock code.

2. If I do a factory reset will it destroy the network unlocking and brick the
phone?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have an unlocked Verizon prepaid Moto E4 running with a T-Mobile SIM card on the T-Mobile network..
Getting messages to update the phone software,

1. Can I do that via Google Play for APPS like Chrome, GMAIL, etc,,
and also the Android phone system software without bricking the phone?

I do not have the original unlock code.

2. If I do a factory reset will it destroy the network unlocking and brick the
phone?

1. The update is being pushed by Verizon since the phone was originally a Verizon branded model. This is known as an OTA update (over the air) and can be done either by carrier data or WiFi. WiFi is recommended to save data and there may even be a failsafe that only allows WiFi so that you don't go over on your data. Doesn't matter that you now have T-Mo data from a T-Mo SIM. The update still comes via Verizon servers. Google Play has nothing to do with a system update to a carrier branded phone, even one that is unlocked. Go ahead and update. It won't "brick" the phone or lock the SIM back to Verizon.

2. Factory reset will not "brick" your phone or lock the SIM back to Verizon. Carrier Lock is actually on a separate chip from the one that holds the system ROM. The only way your phone could get locked back to Verizon is a motherboard swap with one that is still locked or if a tech from Verizon did it in house during service.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The |bricking on update" problem has nothing to do with an unlocked phone, it's a possibility with a rooted phone, which is why updating normally fails on a rooted phone (all updates should with all rooted phones). If you get the update (Verizon may not update phones not currently registered with them, and Moto may not do the update directly) (you'll get a notice) accept it if you can do without the phone for a few minutes. If you're in the middle of something, postpone it and you'll get it the next day.

Verizon techs won't work on the phone unless you go back on a Verizon plan - basically the phone is unlocked for life. And factory resets have nothing to do with SIM locks - the phone will remain unlocked, but you will lose all your data (including music, pictures, etc.) and downloaded apps, so back everything up first.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech