Random ad popping up top right corner of phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an android and the pop up randomly shows as a circle hanging on a string. It advertises apps i already hvae and i can't find out how to get rid of it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Happening to me too. No, it does not persist in safe mode. This is what it looks like:

Welcome to the forums. Most likely this floating icon and ads come from an app that you downloaded. The tricky part is finding out which one is the culprit.

You can start the search checking which apps have the 'draw over other apps' permission enabled. The right steps will depend on your model/android version and I think that in Samsung devices this permission has a different name. Just in case try in settings - apps - cog icon top right - advanced/special access.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am having this same problem too. I am not finding a solution really anywhere. I have read this thread through but not had any success with anything. Could anyone help?
Welcome to the forums. Have you already tried safe mode? Any unusual app with the 'draw over other apps' permission enabled? What device do you have?

Thisisphilip

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Thank you glad to be here.

I have no tried safe mode yet, though I don't know what I would do in safe mode. Do I just check and see if the ad pops up?

And I can't seem the find the "draw over other apps" permission anywhere. Though I might not be looking in the right place either.

I have a galexy s8 with the most updated os.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have no tried safe mode yet, though I don't know what I would do in safe mode. Do I just check and see if the ad pops up?

Exactly. Safe mode disables all third party apps that you downloaded. See previous posts about this procedure.

And I can't seem the find the "draw over other apps" permission anywhere. Though I might not be looking in the right place either.

I have a galexy s8 with the most updated os.

See if the steps included on post #6 work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781