I listen a lot to music with earphones in a quiet environment, with the volume slider on the lowest setting, as I find this the most comfortable.

This worked well for almost two years with my old iPhone 6, but suddenly one day the volume was noticeably louder (about 50 % louder) even when the volume slider was on the lowest setting. I turned all the frequencies in the Spotify equalizer down, so that the sound I was hearing was at the same level that it had been before. The increased volume was permanent and became even louder a couple of weeks later. This happened several times with varying intervals. After a while I had turned the equalizer to the lowest settings, but the increase in volume continued.

I then bought a new phone, Samsung Galaxy s7, about four months ago, in hopes of getting rid of the problem, but the same happened with this phone after a couple of weeks. Changing earphones did not solve the problem either.

I have tried different workarounds, such as the built-in Android equalizer (all frequencies are now at -10 dB), the third party app Precise volume (the media slider is turned down to 1%). Third party equalizers (many of which can be turned down to -15 dB) do not work for me.

I have tried safe mode, but the sound was still too loud (even a bit louder, but I assume that is caused by safe mode deactivating the Precise volume app.) I have also tried to scan the phone with different scanning tools (Malwarebytes, Norton mobile, 360 security and others) without finding any malware.

The increase in volume seems to apply to all sounds from the phone, including third party apps.
    12-07-2017 02:29 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do your headphones have their own volume control? If so, what happens if you turn that down as well?

Also, does this happen in Safe Mode as well? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008. You'd only be able to test preinstalled apps while in Safe Mode.
    12-08-2017 05:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply. My headphones do not have own volume control, but I am first and foremost looking for a solution to the underlying problem, as the volume is getting louder and louder still.

The problem is present in safe mode as well.
    12-11-2017 09:58 AM
    Use Samsung's Sound Assistant app from the Play Store. It allows you to have a second volume slider to lower the volume even more.

I do find your case weird because volume goes down to zero, which means no sound is playing. Where are you achieving this 'lowest setting' that still has sound?

Screenshots would be ideal.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-11-2017 10:18 AM
    Use Samsung's Sound Assistant app from the Play Store. It allows you to have a second volume slider to lower the volume even more.

I do find your case weird because volume goes down to zero, which means no sound is playing. Where are you achieving this 'lowest setting' that still has sound?

Screenshots would be ideal.
    My volume is currently at 1% of full volume. I achieved this through the Precise Volume app (seen in the screenshot below)

Why is phone volume too loud on lowest setting?-1.jpg

In addition, I have set all the frequencies to -10dB in the built-in android equalizer:

Why is phone volume too loud on lowest setting?-2.jpg

What the volume sliders look like. They look like they are on 5%, but Precise Volume overrides this, so they are actually at 1%.

Why is phone volume too loud on lowest setting?-3.jpg

And Sound Assistant (Thanks for the tip. Currently not at the lowest setting, but as my phone keeps getting louder it soon will be):

Why is phone volume too loud on lowest setting?-4.jpg
    12-28-2017 06:29 AM
    I'm thinking Precise Volume may not be working properly. I would suggest to uninstall it, then run safe mode to disable any settings that Precise Volume may have changed. If I try to emulate your settings I can barely hear anything, and I was already tested to have above average hearing acuity on some frequencies through audiometry at hospital last year. Unless you have even abnormally better hearing than I do, there's something wrong with the volume levels on your phone, and Precise Volume app is our only difference.
    12-28-2017 06:37 AM
    I cant understand why all this confusion exists over volume controls on a android phone < in my case a Galaxy S7> The android system & the manufacturer has been around for many years.

Having 4 volume sliders would suggest that there are many convenient ways to adjust & manipulate all or any volume settings to any user specific profile.

However, Nowhere in the S7 manual I downloaded, is there any explanation of what each of the 4 volume sliders adjust. A very basic yet important user feature of any phone yet I cannot find any explanation for the sliders anywhere online! You might adjust Notification slider thinking it affects volume of your SMS text notification... but it doesnt. And the System volume, that doesn't seem to affect anything either. You might think that system volume would be like a master volume to adjust everything up or down together. But, nope, cant seem to figure out what it's specific function is either.

My old HTC One M7 had 4 volume sliders & were much more intuitive re What sliders affected what sounds! If anyone can explain or is aware of an online explanation for what S7 individual volume sliders control, please post a reply.
    01-14-2018 05:14 PM
    Hi. I found this thread because I have the exact same issue. I downloaded the Samsung Audio Assistant, but, I can not find call volume ANYWHERE and the app "phone" (that runs when you are on a call) is not on the assistant's app list. I did a few sample calls and the assistant said "no app playing audio." Then my ears started buzzing... how in the heck has this not been addressed by Android? Can someone help me with the sound assistant or another app that will fine tune call volume even if the generic volume for calls is at its lowest point?
    07-20-2018 06:21 PM
    Can anyone help?
    08-28-2018 02:40 AM
    OMG - This is painful. No solutions yet?
    09-14-2018 01:24 PM
    I have noticed this on my S8 since new and it is incredibly annoying. I just got a new job and the work environment is much quieter, so I needed a solution bad. I found this thread, which didn't have a solution yet, and in searching had seen a recommended YT video in the search results for a "hidden" feature and it ended up being the fix!

Fix: Disable "Media volume sync"

In Oreo (Android v8):
    1. Settings
    2. Connections
    3. Bluetooth
    4. Tap the three vertical dots to the right of Scan
    5. Tap "Media volume sync"
    6. Turn off
    7. Enjoy!

02-22-2019 03:31 AM