Why are real phone calls appearing as spoofed numbers?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy Core Prime given to me by a friend with Android version 5.1.1. I just signed up for a new plan with AT&T. The problem I've been having is that I haven't been answering certain calls because they appeared to be spoofed. For example, say that my number is (555) 123-4567, I will get a call with a number like (555) 123-2222. I didn't pick up the phone, assuming that it was a telemarketer. Then my friend sent me a text message asking why I wasn't picking up my phone. Her number looked like the above example (that is definitely not her number). So basically, I just realized that I've been ignoring real phone calls from real people and that this has been going on since I got the phone. Does anyone know how to fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's interesting -- I've been seeing something similar. I've definitely been getting spam calls from numbers with the same 3 digit prefix as mine, but then out of interest (and the desire to annoy the spammer), I called one of the numbers back. I ended up talking to some bewildered elderly woman who was wondering why I was calling. I'd suggest reporting it to your carrier -- I'll try to remember to do the same the next time this happens.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My honest guess? People reporting it as spam. The database is hosted by Google but goes off the reports of users.. I am sure a good amount take it to be marked as spam. I figure people are probably marking it due to their hate of ISPs so if the call for them was for a "deal" I could see them disagreeing in the fashion.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I try to put everyone I know in my contacts... Telemarketing losers have been spoofing so many local numbers I stopped answering anything with the same exchange as me that didn't have a name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles