Is it possible to install a pre-loaded app from a phone to another Android device?

EnzoS

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
We bought 2 Samsung Android devices recently: Samsung Galaxy J7-v (Verizon) and Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 w/S-pen tablet. Both came with Nougat 7.0 OS's. The tablet's first OTA update was forced down our throats shortly after we started using it. No updates have been mandated for the phone...YET.

Both devices came with a really nice weather widget from AccuWeather. Following the tablet's update, the very nice, attractive AccuWeather widget was replace by a hideous, non-configurable, widget from The Weather Channel. My question is: if I use an app to create then share the phone's AccuWeather widget/app, should I be able to install it on the tablet as an optional home page time/weather widget?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, you can install the Accuweather widget from the Play store - AccuWeather.

Second, for any app you can't find in the Play store, back the app up with something like App Backup & Restore. That creates an .apk file of the app, which you can copy to the other device and install (by just tapping the .apk file in a file manager (My Files is fine for that).

EnzoS

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you answered my question but I want to make sure I worded it correctly so as not to cause any confusion.

I hesitate to go to the Play Store for the AccuWeather app as I wouldn't welcome pop-up ads. Obviously, the one that is currently on the J7 is simple and ad-free.

I've been using a little app for years to do precisely what you suggested: backup, store, and reinstall. The process I've been using is exactly as you stated. The app creates an .apk file of the app to be backed up. Then, if I want to install that particular backed-up app, I'd copy it to the other device and install it (in the conventional manner).

That is my plan if it is possible to do so considering I would be making an .apk of an app that was originally pre-installed on a brand new device then try to install that .apk on another device with the same OS version and product brand.

Am I putting too much into this? Should I just go ahead and try it? I just don't want to cause any problems with either device.

Thanks again,

EnzoS

Oh...by the way; the app I've been using for several years without even 1 failure is: ApkShare V1.2 by KN Inc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1