How to create a new folder / label in gmail on android phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Is there anyway I can create a new label/ folder without having to use a computer. I know that you can't from the Gmail app but just wondering if there's a way around it as I haven't a computer at the moment. Thanks

BeOhBe

May 5, 2019
Visit site
Creating Labels, and Filters in Gmail:
On an Android Mobile Phone.

This is a workaround. Google tells you this can't be done, but then unknowingly provides the means...
HERE'S HOW:

In the device and Google account you want to use, (different for every one)
Open the gmail app;
> Menu,
> Help.
Search "create labels" and:
> "Create Labels to Organize Gmail."
Be sure it says Android.
Scroll down, and:
> "Create a label."
Scroll down to beneath the video.
In written instruction #1:
"On a computer...
> Open Gmail..."
a button that takes you to the online
gmail you're presently in.
If you hit an ad to get the app or
upgrade:
> "Use the web version." Now:
> The status bar 3 dot menu,
(the red dot with a white arrow for
some) at the upper right,
and scroll down to "Desktop site."
TOGGLE the check box to ON.
Enlarge the tiny print, and:
> The Gmail menu in the upper left.
At the very bottom:
> "Desktop" (very tiny, with no "site,"
but it may have "view" for some).
If that sends you to Another ad:
> "I'd like to use HTML Gmail"

Note that your experience might differ depending on device, settings, and cookies present. If you find a step that doesn't match, use the keywords here to go on with: "web version" (online Gmail); both the online "Desktop site," and the Gmail "Desktop," and "HTML."

Finally you are actually using an online computer to deal with your gmail, now in html, instead of just looking at your mobile version thru a computer. Here you will find several (discontinued) things your gmail doesn't have.

The column on the left is the list of actions with "Compose" at the top, and your goal, "Labels," at the bottom.
> "Edit Labels."
As you use "create a label" + "Go" (in the upper and lower box frame) they will be added to a (spreadsheet) list where you can manage them: Move conversations in and out, Rename, Delete, etc. You can do that there, but once created they are added to the labels list you already have, and back in your mobile version they work the same as all the pre-installed labels such as Drafts, etc.

A second reward for jumping thru all these hoops is that at the top there is a button, "Create a Filter." Just as Spam is done already, you can arrange for incoming mail to go straight to the appropriately labeled folder, but still get the alerts as always. That will free up your inbox for just the things you want to see up front.

Be sure to take a copy of the url before you leave. This will be your Return Button straight to there, minus all this falderall. Remember to add a fresh space at the very end after you paste it, so it will turn into a button when you exit compose. Do remember that this button only goes to the Gmail attached to the device, and the account, that you are in. For every change you will have to run thru these steps again. Keep it handy for making more, changing names, or deleting labels. In fact, I made a label for mine!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay