What's the purpose of rooting a device. I got a new 8 ares Nextbook 5.0 lollipop, was wondering if I should root it to get better use of it? I always have storage issues and low performance on Android. Will rooting help? If u can help me that would be great. Be blessed!
    12-19-2017 12:14 AM
    Rooting gives you more granular control over your device, you can shut down /remove apps you don't want like bloatware. You can customise your device infinitely once rooted.
    But!!
    Is not a simple process, it's easy to brick the device. You may leave yourself op n to malware. Your device security will detect the root and will not be happy.
    You may not get updates.
    Your warranty is void!!
    Did I mention malware?? This can come from a bad choice of sources, or from your browser (remember your security apps has been compromised)
    These days you have so much control that you don't really need to root. Later devices actively stop you these days, you cannot root them due built in protection.
    I never bother.
    If you are keen to experiment, get another device you don't mind killing, so if it goes wrong, you have your daily driver...
    belodion likes this.
    12-19-2017 04:20 AM
    What's the purpose of rooting a device.
    It's the same as Administrative access on Windows or running su in Linux. (It's actually installing the su file, since Android runs on Linux)

I got a new 8 ares Nextbook 5.0 lollipop, was wondering if I should root it to get better use of it?
    Better use? No. Some apps only run if the device is rooted, but the apps you run now won't run any differently - they don't ask for root, so they won't know that the device is rooted.

I always have storage issues and low performance on Android. Will rooting help?
    Rooting adds 1 file and 1 app, so it uses some storage, it won't give you more free storage. As far as the issues go, there's almost no issue that an app that doesn't need root can have that rooting will cure.

Rooting only matters for running apps that require root access (in which case, the app won't run at all if the device isn't rooted) and deleting system apps.

It also, as Tim said, voids the warranty, and updates are supposed to fail at the point that they detect that the device is rooted - since updating a rooted device can brick it.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    12-19-2017 10:57 AM