Shall I make separate emails for backing up?

zajajo91

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
I have 2 phone, Note 4 and S7 Edge.

With the Note 4, I have over 24k photos/videos (32gb phone and 64 gb card) to backup, which I will start deleting cause I need space. The other phone has 1k and is an S7 Edge (32gb phone).

I don't want the backups between both phones to get mixed up. I was thinking if I should make 2 separate emails for each phone. Or shall I back up my main phone to the gmail I use for Google Play etc, and 1 separate email for the S7 Edge?

Wouldn't uploading both to the same account mix them up?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you create a secondary Google account and add it to the phone, you can switch between accounts in the Google Photos app. So you should be able to upload the photos and videos from one phone to one Google account, and the photos and videos from the other phone to the other account. On your computer, though, you wouldn't be able to view these photos at the same time -- you'd have to log out of one Google account and into the other to see those other photos and videos.

zajajo91

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
If you create a secondary Google account and add it to the phone, you can switch between accounts in the Google Photos app. So you should be able to upload the photos and videos from one phone to one Google account, and the photos and videos from the other phone to the other account. On your computer, though, you wouldn't be able to view these photos at the same time -- you'd have to log out of one Google account and into the other to see those other photos and videos.

Wouldn't uploading both to the same account, mix them up?

Also should I use my main Gmail for one? Or just have the 2 separate emails just solely for backups? Like "JoBackup1@gmail.com" and "JoBackup2@gmail.com".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, now that I think about it, what I suggested probably won't work. I was thinking you could create a secondary Google account that's still associated with your main Google account, but I think you can only create a secondary Gmail email account. They'd still be connected to the same Google account, and therefore all photos would get uploaded to the same Google Photos library (and therefore get mixed up).

There may not be any way to segregate that many photos easily within the same Google Photos library. If keeping them separate is important, you might want to backup the one with more photos/videos to your Google Photos in the cloud, and manually backup the other device to a hard drive (or some other cloud service like Dropbox).

I suppose you could try creating a completely new Google account, but I'm not sure what kinds of pitfalls would be involved. They might not let you, since it would be a way for people to get more than the free 15 GB of Google Drive storage per person without paying for more storage.

Let me ask some of my smarter colleagues about this ..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was told by my Ambassador colleague SpookDroid that creating the second separate Google account is indeed the way to go about it. Remember, this is creating a brand new Google account, not just a secondary Gmail email address on your main Google account.

zajajo91

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
I ended up making two completely separate accounts, from my usual Gmail that I use for Google Play.

Seems fine so far. It backs up everything smooth. Only issue is that it doesn't keep my file structure. One device has 24,000 photos over 30 folders... but it's free so I guess I can't complain. I synced it to Google Drive, the best it does it split them into folders by year taken.

Bit of work keeping up with accounts, that's 4 just for Google now haha. I have a 4th one for business.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I definitely agree with SpookDroid, I've being using 4 different Gmail accounts for years. Each one has its own Google account.

Sent From Inside the TARDIS with my Note 8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000