Mirroring from Android to PC without root

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Please excuse my ignorance. I am assuming that 'without root' means without internet connection. That being said I would like to mirror the screen on my Android HTC M8 One using a Verizon cell signal to my laptop monitor. Can this be done using Chromecast?

We travel in an RV full-time and we don't always have a wifi connection. We have unlimited data on our Verizon account but it only allows for 15gig of hotspot use before it throttles back. My husband loves to watch youtube videos and I would like to accomplish this without having to get a jetpack and spend an additional amount each month to Verizon if we can use the unlimited cell phone data to accomplish the same thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Wireless mirroring using apps like AirDroid and Vysor require a wi-fi network, with both devices connected to that network. From what I've read, Bluetooth speeds are generally too slow to allow smooth mirroring, although Dr. Fone has a program that can do it: https://drfone.wondershare.com/mirror-emulator/mirror-android-to-android.html#part4. Be aware that this might be pretty choppy.

However, I believe you can use Vysor over a USB connection, as long as USB Debugging is turned on. See more here: https://www.vysor.io/

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
AirDroid can also use a USB connection as well, and is compatible with older versions of Windows in case that is a concern. If you prefer a Wi-Fi solution, I think it creates its own hotspot via your phone and you don't need a separate Wi-Fi router.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Also not mentioned - typically a laptop will not accept an HDMI input, unless the "laptop monitor" you're referring to is an external display attached to the laptop and you want to disconnect the laptop and place the Chromecast in place of it. The HDMI port on laptops is piped from the output of the display adapter and cannot go the other direction.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Vysor also works with a wired (USB) connection, and gives you a full screen (as full as a phone can be represented on a PC monitor) view in either orientation (wide side up or narrow side up).

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692