Intermittent Rebooting and Locking Up / Freezes - Galaxy Note 4

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have had this phone for 3 years and for many this is the time to just buy the latest one. Normally I would, but now I am liking not having a phone payment. The phone has been working perfectly fine up until a couple days before Christmas.

Sometimes the phone gets stuck on the Verizon screen, other times it goes to the Recovery Mode Menu automatically and a couple times it went to the Downloading Target screen. I have since factory reset it and only use Facebook and included SMS apps and it tends to freeze up for a few seconds while swyping screens.

Could it be as simple as an old battery? It was working fine and would stay charged up for a day or two, not like it was burning through the battery every few hours.

Should I try rooting it and rolling it back to an earlier OS version? What are my options besides trading it in for a new $800 latest version?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you've been running the battery down lower than 40%, it could be shot. And a new battery isn't that expensive (an Anker, probably the best, is $16 on Amazon).

As for the rest, you root the version of Android currently in the phone. If you root the current version, then install an older version, you wasted your time rooting it. The older version won't be rooted. And you don't need to root to install the OS, all you need is a PC and Odin. But that's a drastic move - you'll lose everything unless you back everything up first. I'd try a new battery first.

PachucoBro

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
I ended up just having to buy a new phone...
The Anker battery I have/had was only 1 year old and didn't seem to run down very quickly, but I ordered a new on for $15 and same exact issues. So the new battery had no effect.

Really frustrating... you have something all setup the way you like and it is working find one day... then some update or possible some solder heats up too much on some chip pin... and the whole thing is trash and you have to buy another $800 device that might go bad in 2-3 years. *sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20