We have forgotten the password for the Huawei GR5 phone.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Details
phone - Huawei GR5
carrier - Rogers
issue - locked out of phone due to forgotten password

This phone was part of a 2 year contract signed on November 2017 as a replacement for our ‘home phone’. We both have personal cell phones however we have had this home phone number for over 20 years and decided to transfer the home phone number to a cellular plan.

My wife has forgotten the password for the phone when it was activated at the carrier. We have visited the carrier twice and they have advised that they are unable to assist in resetting this new home phone. Currently there are 5 voicemails on the phone. I have watched a youtube video showing how to hard reset this phone. If I do this do I lose the voicemails?

Although the phone is an android phone the ‘apps’ and android features will not be used so we don’t want to activate our google accounts for the phone. Will this be an issue? Are there any additional thoughts or concerns I should consider prior to proceeding to hard reset the phone?

deafwiggle

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't - repeat SHOULDN'T - lose any voice mails as these are actually stored by Rogers, not your phone. (If you do lose anything, contact Rogers, not me.) The notifications or any indication that you have them may disappear, but the voice mails should be retrievable no matter what - until you delete them while in Roger's voice mail system.

Aside: Actually, you can retrieve voice mails for any number using any phone. Rogers has a help page for that. ;)

You can do a "Factory Reset"):
  1. hold down the "Power" key until prompt shows (works on Lock Screen)
  2. select "Power off" (twice?)
  3. hold down "Power" and "Volume Up" buttons at the same time until a Logo (Huawei?) displays (let go of both when the logo shows)
  4. use "Volume Up/Down" to navigate to "wipe data/factory reset"
  5. confirm with the "Power" button
  6. repeat above two steps
  7. then navigate to and select "reboot system now" with the "Power" button
This should not lose any voice mails you have with Rogers (again, if you do, contact them, not me).

If the phone is irretrievable, you could always pull the SIM card, stick it in another phone and retrieve any external information dependent on your phone number (not the phone) using that phone.

Good luck! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12