Hi, so i recently started getting into learning about phones hardware and software and things like that. I have an HTC that was locked i factory reset it and then continued to access the internet and other apps, just not the home screen because it was still locked. im not completely sure what i did but now i believe it's soft bricked. I can access the bootloader options download and recovery mode. ive wiped it again & wiped the cache but when i go to reboot the phone it stays at the HTC android screen and wont move past it.
    i have a pc running windows 10 but no OTG cable.
    please help! it's an unused phone so it's just for my own learning.
    if i have hard bricked it please let me know, and maybe let me know what i could have done to not do it again! lol
    01-12-2018 11:10 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean that the HTC was locked? Do you mean that you weren't able to get past the lockscreen because you didn't know or forgot the password? How did you reset it -- from the Recovery menu? How can you access apps if you can't get to the homescreen?
    01-12-2018 12:13 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean that the HTC was locked? Do you mean that you weren't able to get past the lockscreen because you didn't know or forgot the password? How did you reset it -- from the Recovery menu? How can you access apps if you can't get to the homescreen?
    it was locked with a pattern my friends mom didnt remember & i reset it from the recovery menu.
    and i access the apps from a backdoor
    01-13-2018 01:57 PM
    After you did the factory reset from the Recovery menu, did it go through the whole Setup Wizard again? Doing a factory reset should wipe the phone, and therefore it shouldn't remember the pattern lock that had been set prior to the reset. The main security measure would be Factory Reset Protection, where the phone should prompt for the previously associated Google account and password after the phone restarts from the reset -- after entering that (which hopefully your friend's mom remembers), the phone should then proceed to the Setup Wizard.
    01-14-2018 02:02 AM
    So I did the same thing only my phone was Google locked and I think I may have disabled some apps bcuz the phone was given to me and I didn't know the old Gmail info. And when I went into bootloader's menu again it just stopped and stayed on the HTC screen and I have to take out the battery to turn it off

After you did the factory reset from the Recovery menu, did it go through the whole Setup Wizard again? Doing a factory reset should wipe the phone, and therefore it shouldn't remember the pattern lock that had been set prior to the reset. The main security measure would be Factory Reset Protection, where the phone should prompt for the previously associated Google account and password after the phone restarts from the reset -- after entering that (which hopefully your friend's mom remembers), the phone should then proceed to the Setup Wizard.
    01-15-2018 06:24 AM
    It sounds like Factory Reset Protection is in fact what you're encountering, and unfortunately, there's nothing we can suggest, apart from finding out the Google username and password from the previous owner. FRP is a security measure, and we discourage discussions on how to bypass security measures. Sorry!
    01-15-2018 06:14 PM