In my opinion, Samsung makes the best smartphone hardware Apple included. It's the updates that is their problem. If they made phones for Google, the Android experience would be perfect. I guess if they did, all other Android vendors would probably go out of business.
    01-13-2018 10:43 AM
    I believe they did do it.
    01-13-2018 12:33 PM
    Remember - a lot of cellphone manufacturers make only one product - cellphones. A few others also make laptops and/or desktops.

Samsung is a huge business that's in transportation (huge commercial ocean-going ships, any one of which probably sells for more than the entire cellphone market bring in for an entire year), so they're not that concerned with their little cellphone division. It's like Apple opening a company to make USB connectors. If Samsung does or doesn't make the next 5 years of Google phones,it won't change the company's bottom line enough to notice unless you're looking at the last few digits. (LG is also a pretty large company, but for some reason they went after Google - or Google went after them - maybe because they're a large company. But I don't think that Samsung is going to lose any sleep over not making "the Google phone" for the next lifetime.)

They're not in the business of bringing us the best phone they can, they're (all large companies, including Google) in the business of bringing in the most profit. And as long as the attitude of 95% of the public is "even if it doesn't work well, it's good enough", we'll keep getting garbage phones, phones that don't get updated more than once or twice, non-removable batteries (why not spend $60 plush shipping to get a $9 battery replaced?) and $1,000 phones that are so locked up that you can't really do anything with them? (Linux that can't run su without voiding the warranty? Any distro that worked like that wouldn't live to its first release - but every single Android phone comes like that. Running su is getting root, which voids the warranty on any Android phone, but it's an inherent part of the Linux that Android itself runs in. It's almost a violation of the license under which Google is allowed to use Linux.)
    01-13-2018 02:56 PM